Condensate pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have had a new Worcester Greenstar 30si boiler fitted to replace my old one.

He has installed a condensate pump that sits on the floor.

Why do I need this when I did not have one before?

Also, it says it has an input power of 60W. Is that like running a 60W lightbulb 24/7 all year round?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Your old boiler presumably wasn't a condensing one, hence it didn't have a pump. The new one will be condensing, and in certain situations this will require a pump. It will only be drawing power when it is operating, IE when the float switch tells it to pump, so it's like having a 60W light bulb on for a few seconds a couple of times a day

Thanks for the reply.

From what I can gather they are required for combi boilers below ground level to pump up. I am on the first floor. :confused:

Also, I don't know if anyone can answer this:

I can understand the pump being wired into the mains but why also the wireless receiver unit? :confused:

Thanks. I know I am a newb and have no idea about plumbing and the like I just like to understand the basics on how things work.

Sponsored Links
I think you'll find the wireless receiver unit is for the programmer/roomstat and not the condensate pump. As for why you've got a pump, without being able to see your installation it's hard to say but I'm sure the installer wouldn't have included one just for the sake of it.

I think you'll find the wireless receiver unit is for the programmer/roomstat and not the condensate pump. As for why you've got a pump, without being able to see your installation it's hard to say but I'm sure the installer wouldn't have included one just for the sake of it.

The plumber put the replacement boiler in. As he was about to go he said there was something wrong here and he had to pull the floorboards up and put a pipe to the sink from the boiler. He said the electrician would turn up later to wire up the pump. The electrician turned up and said he had never seen a pump before in this type of installation - that is what makes me worried.

The pump has two cables, one going into the power point and the other into the wireless receiver unit. :confused:

The pump is to get the condensate from the boiler into a drain. Liquids run downwards all by themselves. If the route for the condensate pipe needs to go uphill at any stage then you need a pump. Using a pump allows a pipe routing that is easier and causes less building work than finding a constantly downhill route for the pipe to get to a drain.

The pump is to get the condensate from the boiler into a drain. Liquids run downwards all by themselves. If the route for the condensate pipe needs to go uphill at any stage then you need a pump. Using a pump allows a pipe routing that is easier and causes less building work than finding a constantly downhill route for the pipe to get to a drain.

So I guess the old Worcester boiler could do it without a pump?

I always thought the steam coming out the little flue thing excape outside was the condensation.

Excuse my thickness but I am learning. :D

I can understand the pump being wired into the mains but why also the wireless receiver unit? :confused:

If the pump were to stop pumping because of a fault, etc then there is most likely a high level switch that operates. In your case it is probably wired to stop the boiler from operating. This would stop the pump from overflowing and leaking condensate. My guess is that this is the wiring into the wireless receiver.

If the pump were to stop pumping because of a fault, etc then there is most likely a high level switch that operates. In your case it is probably wired to stop the boiler from operating. This would stop the pump from overflowing and leaking condensate. My guess is that this is the wiring into the wireless receiver.

That would make sense, thanks!

I always thought the steam coming out the little flue thing escape outside was the condensation

Its not hot steam, just (about 50C) mist, plus combustion products, if everything is working properly.

If its mild outside, you may not see anything at all.

Keith

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back