Condensate Pumping Regularly /Noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello-my query is about the frequency of pumping and noise generated. I don't think it's been covered on other threads... Several weeks ago the installer a local heating engineer serviced the Worcester Bosch condenser boiler in cupboard on first floor and found a kink in the condensate pump pipe feed going up to the stack. This was after I commented about the worsening noise when the pump became active. The noise made by the pumping has now changed but it is much more regular, about 2 or three times every 90 minutes and doesn't seem to co-ordinate with drawing of hot water. Before this it pumped perhaps three times a day, and not for long. Central Heating is of course at present switched off. The plumber does not answer phone calls or text messages particulary well and I suppose he's busy and doesn't need my custom now - since installation I have always wondered if the condensate pump was configured correctly. It is screwed to the side stud wall - no sound deadening and I appreciate this will contribute - I've seen a thread referring to a side shelf and foam so will think about this too. But I suppose its the frequency of pumping that is concerning me in the main.The boiler is a Worcester Bosch Greenstar Ri and the Pump brand is Pro F & B. This pumping frequency has been going on for many weeksbut did not start immediately after the feed pipe kink was resolved.Installation of system was October 2017.Boiler serviced every year by installer but I do not think the Condensate Pump has ever been inspected inside. If he isn't interested I assume I could get another engineer on board and the 10 year boiler warranty would still be good?

Sponsored Links
I would start by checking if water is running into the pump as its excessive number of start ups just for condensate.

Most of these pumps hold about 1/2 litre and switch the pump on when they are half full.

There could be a leak in the boiler and creating water to be pumped. If boiler is not used then there should be no condensate water coming out.

The amount of condensate depends on many factors but perhaps averages about 1-2 litres per hour of constant operating.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all of your comments. To take up on these, having now stood with the cupboard door open for several minutes (why didn't I do this before !) I've observed that the noise seems to be coming from the boiler not the condensate pump housing, there' s a solid plastic feed from boiler to condensate but I saw no water coming from the boiler trickling in to the condensate chamber , with boiler running or not running although the boiler was on for just a moment to replenish cylinder after someone having a quick shower. The feed pipe going from condensate pump to stack is empty apart from say 30ml of fluid inside the pipe, immediately above the non return valve, which I suppose is just gravity effect- This noise isn't a gurgling noise, more of a steady vibration. Does this narrow things down?

So... This noise... Occurs when boiler is firing? Whole time it's firing or just on start up or after a few mins?

If he isn't interested I assume I could get another engineer on board and the 10 year boiler warranty would still be good?
As long as it’s serviced by someone who is gas-safe registered, the warranty will remain valid.

Pull the end of the condensate pipe out of the pump and shove it into a bucket. If the noise stops it's the pump if it doesn't it's something else...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back