Condensate pumps?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Mum has a condensing boiler which likes thousands of others causing problems with the freezing temperatures last year.

The boiler is quite a long way from the kitchen waste, so her engineer has suggested either casing the condensate pipe outside or rerouting the condensate pipe over the kitchen door and putting in a condensate pump. Has anyone got one of these? What do the professionals out their think? She has a Worcester Bosch 15 (ri I think).

Sponsored Links
I have heard of trace heating that heats the pipe and stops it from freezing.

Only a suggestion:

Run the condensate from the boiler into a hockey stick washing machine trap using a piece of that flexible grey washing machine outlet hose. From the trap go through the wall and to the drain in fixed 1 1/2" pipe, with the correct falls on it . This should reduce the chances of it freezing - but if it does freeze it's a simple thing to pull the grey flexi pipe up out of the trap and run it into a bucket.

A lot of the frozen condensates I saw last year had short sections of uphill pipework or lazy gradients, especially through the wall itself. If you sort those out there'll be no standing water in the pipes, so you should be okay, and you won't need trace heating tape.

Sponsored Links
Our AC guys use these mate & we started using them for boilers, great wee units;

http://www.aspenpumps.com/en/mini-a-maxi-orange.html

HTH

Delta, If the boiler uses a system like worcester do where the trap fills and then dumps all of it's water in one go then it's best to use a tank pump, the little inline pumps will be overwhelmed by the sudden inrush of water... Of course they are fine for boilers that release a steady trickle...

Delta, If the boiler uses a system like worcester do where the trap fills and then dumps all of it's water in one go then it's best to use a tank pump, the little inline pumps will be overwhelmed by the sudden inrush of water... Of course they are fine for boilers that release a steady trickle...
Looks to me like those have a small collector tank which the pump then empties. As long as the tank is larger than the volume dumped by the syphon operating and the pump can keep up then it should be OK.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back