Condensation and general loft questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been in our new house for 4 weeks now. Couple weeks ago I went into loft to fix the TV aerial. I found lots of condensation on the roof felt. Went up again week ago and noticed it wasn't as bad.

I thinking or rather hoping it is because of the warm air circulating since we moved in as the house had been empty, I will start to dry out. Is this a valid possibility?

Also noticed the hatch not well secure which I have added draught excluder around the frame. I'm hoping to get a new hatch which looks down rather than sits on the frame.
There is not noticeable ventilation. I.e. Airbrick but the soffit does seem to be vented and from photo below you can see daylight so some ventilation much be getting in.

This leads to the next questions of tidying up the loft for storage..
Tit has boards down but not very good or secure. I am OK to take these up and replace with either ply or standard loft boards?

We have an extension and the access to loft area is through the small crawl space shown. Not ideal. Could I open this up or at least board the crawl space.. Would this be adequate access.

Any other advice tips to tidy the space up to avoid any problems in future.... Thanks
crawl space to other side of loft

Sponsored Links
Is wet washing draped around inside your home?

How long is the extractor fan run, during and after each bath and shower?

Are the gaps at the eaves exposed so air can flow (not blocked by insulation)?

How long are the bedroom windows opened each morning?

Thanks for the reply.

No wet washing however we do have a condenser dryer on most days in the utility room. Door kept closed, window open.

No other window open apart from bathroom as the house is quite cold and draughty once heating goes off. In the process of identifying draught spots to fix. Around windows, under window sills etc.

Extractor fan on for 20 mins after shower. Although I now keep window open also.

Not to sure about gap around eves. Difficult to get to. From pic above, in part, the insulation seems for away from eves as other places.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back