Condensation and Mould in "Lean To"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a lean to roughly 2m x 3m.
Walls: 2 walls are plasterboard dot and dabbed on solid brick walls, 1 wall is plaster on solid brick and 1 wall is a upvc door and window with under the window breeze block on the outside with kingpin and plasterboard on the inside.
Floor: Tiled over screed and kingspan.
Roof: Conservatory type pent roof (no leaks)
Within the room I have a partitioned toilet/washbasin and outside the partition a fridge freezer.
As long as this has been built there has been no condensation (8 years). I always had the window partly open.
I have recently rented out the house and large areas of mould appeared on the inside of the outside walls over the time the tenants were on holiday and left the windows locked. I blamed it on no ventilation and the tenant leaving wet clothes to dry. However, could the large fridge freezer be causing the problem? I only had a small worktop freezer there before. I have asked them to lock the window in the partly open position and I am fitting a trickle vent in the door.
Any suggestions would be welcome.
Signed confused and frustrated landlord

Sponsored Links
It's the lack of ventilation, clothes drying inside, and all the other user-caused problems which result in damp.

The fridge freezer is unrelated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back