Black mould

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
I pulled a fridge freezer out of the corner of the utility room and there was a patch of mould on the wall. It was about half a metre up from the floor and roughly the size of a dartboard.
The wall the mould is on is an external wall which is single brick. It has battens screwed to it, 25mm Celotex between the battens, a plastic sheet over the battens and then plasterboard is screwed to the battens.
Could the mould be because of the fridge being very close to the wall? There is no mould anywhere else on the walls of this room. The wall area isn't very large with a door in it so ripping this all out and redoing it, if it is fundamentally wrong isn't too much of a problem

Sponsored Links
Could the mould be because of the fridge being very close to the wall?

Partly yes, but mainly due to inadequate insulation and trapped air condensing behind the fridge. The backs of sofas, sideboards, kitchen units are also common places where black-spot mould manifests.

Insulate - minimum 125mm on a single brick wall.

Ventilate - mechanical extractors in utilities and kitchens 60 l/s.

Partly yes, but mainly due to inadequate insulation and trapped air condensing behind the fridge. The backs of sofas, sideboards, kitchen units are also common places where black-spot mould manifests.

Insulate - minimum 125mm on a single brick wall.

Ventilate - mechanical extractors in utilities and kitchens 60 l/s.

Its the side of the fridge thats against the wall, about half an inch gap. I'm doing some alterations in that room including moving the fridge to another corner that isn't external. I can pull the plasterboard down and add more insulation but 125mm would cause a few problems. I can double it to 50 but because of a floor mounted boiler which I can't move I wouldn't be able to fit the cupboards and appliances back in.
At first I thought the mould had come through from the outside but I can see now the fridge is trapping the moist air and creating the problem. I'll look at putting an extractor in. Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back