Condensation damp, bubbling, - replaster or just skim? pic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,
I have a room which used to have a small roof leak which has now been fixed. I ripped the false cieling away and found condensation damp (pic). It seems dryer now so the leak might have sorted it.

My question is - should i just clean, reskim and paint or do I need to chip back the plaster and redo? any advice appreciated.

Oh and the other corner of the room has some damp inspired bubbling of paint (behind a wardrobe) - can I just repaint?
Ta very much,
N
View media item 44268

Sponsored Links
The first thing to do would be to clean it up with a sugar soap solution and see what it looks like, from the pic you have posted I cant say it looks like it needs re-skimming.

The black death needs to be cleaned with 50/50 water and bleach to kill it off. Put a mask on, that stuff is bad news for your lungs!!

I would rip it all off because the Aspergillus spores breed in cavity walls and gets everywhere.

Sponsored Links
Jeez that bad?

And why surgery solution?

For health reasons I would but I have developed ABPA because of the stuff.
http://www.aspergillus.org.uk/abpaframeset.html

It looks like the damp has gone deep so unless you kill it all off it will release spores and when kids are in the mix with their small lungs....

It grows on your lungs :eek:

Some people say bleach don't work but it does, they are trying to sell their products.

See how deep it has gone before you do anything.

jeez that is scary stuff. I've washed down and over painted this stuff many many times with out the actual knowledge of the danger involved.

If you still want to tackle it then I have always used a anti fungicidal solution then over painted with an anti mould emulsion (johnstones have a good range). Always had good results and longevity as long as the cause had been rectified! Don't forget to wear a mask, goggles and gloves while washing down as the solution can splash as its very thin!

jeez that is scary stuff. I've washed down and over painted this stuff many many times with out the actual knowledge of the danger involved.

If you still want to tackle it then I have always used a anti fungicidal solution then over painted with an anti mould emulsion (johnstones have a good range). Always had good results and longevity as long as the cause had been rectified! Don't forget to wear a mask, goggles and gloves while washing down as the solution can splash as its very thin!

Anti fungal solution is good but I've found it's best if it hasn't penetrated deep.

If it's on the back side it gets in the cavities etc The spores contaminate the whole house over time and the older the house the higher the contamination.

I moved from a modern house to a 550 year old timber frame cottage and it's riddled with it. No damp on the walls etc but over the years it would have had damp problems and the spores have built up. Within 6 months I was in hospital and I had extensive tests, even a ct scan because the doc suspected lung cancer. We are on the move soon because of it.

On a scale of 1 to 5 I score 4 on the immune response test.

Ok now with the anti fungal drug that I have to take while I'm here and steroids :cry:

Prolonged exposure will cause problems and if you have or have had asthma it will get you quicker. I even have to wear a mask in the house!!!!

Anti fungal solution is good but I've found it's best if it hasn't penetrated deep.

If it's on the back side it gets in the cavities etc The spores contaminate the whole house over time and the older the house the higher the contamination.

I moved from a modern house to a 550 year old timber frame cottage and it's riddled with it. No damp on the walls etc but over the years it would have had damp problems and the spores have built up. Within 6 months I was in hospital and I had extensive tests, even a ct scan because the doc suspected lung cancer. We are on the move soon because of it.

On a scale of 1 to 5 I score 4 on the immune response test.

Ok now with the anti fungal drug that I have to take while I'm here and steroids :cry:

Prolonged exposure will cause problems and if you have or have had asthma it will get you quicker. I even have to wear a mask in the house!!!!

Worst thing is I have asthma and worked with this stuff many times.

On a scale of 1 to 5, I score 4 on the immune response test.

Ok now with the anti fungal drug that I have to take while i'm here, and steroids :cry:

I even have to wear a mask in the house!!!!

Hmm,,, so why do you continue to smoke, with this potentially serious lung condition?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back