Condensation in loft of empty house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Appreciate this has been discussed various times before but noticed that most of the threads are for occupied properties.

I moved out of my house last year, the house has been up for sale and I have agreed a sale, since I have moved out wet patches have appeared on the bedroom ceilings. I have had a roofer out who has said there doesn't appear to be any problems with the roof, there are no slipped tiles and the pointing on the ridge tiles is fine. The only visible issue outside was that the gutters were full of moss. Just to note the pitch of the roof forms part of the bedroom ceilings with the gutters sitting just above the window externally.

However, when you go into the loft all the joists are completely wet and there are damp patches on the floor, it appears to be condensation. The buyers are now saying a new roof is required but the survey they had done did not pick up any issues with the roof, nor did my roofer.

Since I have moved out there is obviously no heating on and no air flow throughout the house, I have also emptied the loft of a lot of things that were stored up there (there are still a few things left but not much). I'm not aware that there are any air vents in the roof and to be honest I wouldn't know where to find them. The roof is the original 1930s clay tile with no felt lining. The loft has insulation but the hatch doesn't but given this was never an issue until I moved out I'm not sure this is relevant.

Is there anything I can do to get rid of the condensation so the buyers don't try and knock money off for a new roof? I have had the gutters cleared and just wondered if there is anything else I can do? Heating on, windows open where I can etc? This was never an issue when I lived in the house and just seems to have happened since it became vacant.

Sponsored Links
A property will experience condensation in the loft whether it's occupied or not. Generally the solution would be to increase ventilation in the loft, and maybe insulation too, but it can be trial and error.

If there is nothing in the report indicating that a new roof is required, then you should
resist that request.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back