Condensation in old dormer flat roof. Options?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a leaking flat zinc roof on a dormer in summer which I fixed. I left it open in the bedroom so I could check it when it pours with rain which happens here all summer and it's been perfect.

I decided to stick a sheet of ply on the ceiling as a temporary measure for winter and insulated between the timbers with sheeps wool which I've been using in the house.

The ply sheet was about 6 inch to small but fine as a temporary measure.

I took the sheet off today and under the wool is soaking. I'm presuming this is from room condensation.

What are my options when I permanently refit this. Can I insulate or should I leave it empty? There is sarking board at the sides of the dormer but the roof void isnt really ventilated and there is no soffit etc in which to put vents.

I'm planning to finish the room side with timber t and g linings.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20180117_122936.jpg
    20180117_122936.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 317
  • 20170503_145834.jpg
    20170503_145834.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 289
Sponsored Links
If I use Celotex do I leave a gap between the top of the Celotex and under side of the flat roof?

Or fit the celotex hard to the underside of the deck?

Rememering I'm struggling to ventilate the roof space. The joists are only 80mm deep.

I was thinking of drilling 6 x 10mm holes in the main timber near the pitched roof to allow air movement from the sealed flat roof void to the joining slate roof voids. The thought being the pitched roof is slated and breathable through the sarking gaps where as the flat roof is unbreathable and unventilated due to zinc covering?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
80mm celotex between joists pushed up tight. Foil tape any joins and foam any gaps along joist edges. Board with foil backed plasterboard and skim. This will stop warm moist air hitting the cold underside of your roof. Pointless leaving a gap if you have no ventilation.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back