Condensation mould question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Why would mould not attach itself at all to the back of the downstairs book cabinet (smells as new) but it does attach itself to the upstairs cabinet. Both corners look equally grim after a month so sprayed with mould remover regularly this time of year.

I suspect the downstairs one (proper wood unit) being better quality has better quality 'wood' backing whereas the upstairs one (cheap wickes cabinet) is just cheap hardboard maybe? Surely mould isn't that discerning? Just wondering so as to replace the upstairs ones.

Matt

Attachments

• downstairs cabinet.jpg
    downstairs cabinet.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 62
  • downstairs cabinet2.jpg
    downstairs cabinet2.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 68
  • downstairs.jpg
    downstairs.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 60
  • upstairs cabinet.jpg
    upstairs cabinet.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 68
Sponsored Links
Better to fix the mould problem- have a look at your guttering on the outside of the wall, it's amazing the damage that can be caused by a small, regular drip.

Outside wall. Cold spot that won't be a problem if nothing against it.
No air movement so gets condensation.
Common problem.

Don't put anything there or you need some insulation on that wall.

Other way is run dehumidifier

No. It's an old breeze block house so condensation forms on the inside walls of the south westerly walls in winter. We've taken all the necessary actions we can i.e. vents in new windows, no clothes etc. Also use kilrock containers. We keep on top of it spraying mould remover etc. I'm just curious to know why I can smell mould forming on those cheap cabinets and then spray the backs of them but I don't have to for the proper wood ones. I might replace the cheaper ones with proper wood ones. Not a cheap option but helps even more.

Sponsored Links
Water vapour is lighter than air so it will rise within a house

When you say "no clothes" do you mean you don't dry wet or damp washing indoors?

How do you ventilate the bathroom and the bedroom?

Where do you think the water is coming from to mark that corner by the skirting? Is there a dripping gutter outside?

Yeah sorry no clothes drying indoors. The condensation forms in places on the wall corners as the walls are freezing this time of year and hence meets the warm air inside. Windows are all slightly open (in that open but locked position) and all windows have open vents. Bathroom has extractor fan and windows always open.

Where do you think the water is coming from?

upstairs tends to have a higher moisture content, bathrooms and people sleeping -both create moisture even with windows open

downstairs tends to have higher heat levels -as generally most people heat lounge higher than rest of house

higher ambient temperatures can hold more water vapour.

JohnD - Water isn't coming from anywhere. It's just condensation forming on the colder walls.

Condensation is water. If your house is heated, it is not coming from the air. Something is supplying it.

If it's not steamy showers, wet washing, or excessive breathing, it might be coming fom a leaking roof, gutter or pipe.

There'll always be moisture indoors even in minimal amounts with the heating on as moisture is created as Notch7 agrees. I've taken all steps to minimise it as much as I can. I just need to change the chest of drawers in the boys' bedrooms so they don't end up smelling musty. I'm just wondering why one set of drawers can smell musty and another in the same place wouldn't eg. quality of wood etc. It's just another mould prevention action by myself.

The entire world is full of spores, everywhere, all the time.

Give them moisture and a comfortable temperature, and they will grow,

Yeah my house isn't normal though. Full of odd corners and solid breeze block walls. I'd die for cavity wall insulation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back