Condensation on cold water pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have noticed that when I run my washing machine, the cold water pipes under my kitchen sink are damp. This only happens part of the way through the washing cycle. When the cycle finishes and I wipe the pipes dry, they stay dry.

Is it possible that the mains water flowing through the pipes are causing condensation on the pipes?

I thought there may be a leak, but if that was the case I would expect it to be damp all the time.

I recently had a leak which is why I've been keeping an eye on the pipes. This may have happened before and I have just never noticed.

Thanks for your help.
Paul

Sponsored Links
It's completely normal. When no water is flowing the pipes achieve thermal equilibrium with the surrounding air. There is no condensation. At certain points in the washing machine's cycle cold water flows through the pipes. Result - condensation. It stops when the pipes warm up again. It's a bit disconcerting to see your pipes apparently dripping with water but it doesn't mean you've got a leak.

Sponsored Links
Insulate the pipe with pipe insulation, this should cure the condensation problem. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back