Condensation on cold water Pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, wanted some advice on some condensation on our cold water pipes. Please bear with me on this.
Just after xmas we noticed a mouse had been coming in through a small hole next to where the gas main comes in the house and through the cavity wall. I filled the outside wall with mortar and the gap in the internal wall was lot bigger so used some expanding foam. ps(caught the mouse)

That corner of the kitchen is alot warmer now which is great but last week we could here a tapping from the boiler in that corner. It might be dripping but to me i wouldn't here dripping as it is all boxed in. Ive taken all of the boxing away from the boiler and couldn't find any signs of a drip so not sure why this noise has started occurring.

Directly below, under the worktop where the gas main and cold water comes in i noticed all the cold water pipes have condensation on them and this has been dripping onto the concrete floor, this must be a direct result of me blocking the gap up in the brick as there wasn't any moisture there when i was in there setting mouse traps.

Ive put some lagging on the pipes i could see and get to and think i will put some trays or tubs down to catch the water so its not soaking into the floor.

My dad suggested drilling through the expanding foam and creating that air circulation again im not keen on this and making the kitchen cooler again. My wife seems to think it happens this time of year when the water is colder in the winter and the condensation evaporates every year, im not buying this.

Is there anything else i can try if anyone could give me their opinion it would be welcomed.

PS the only other thing that has changed is that ive puchased a dehumidifier but this is on the first floor and is on for three house on a morning.

Many thanks.
Ian

Sponsored Links
Hi, i used Soudal gap filling foam. I took some of it out last night to see if i could get some air flowing from the cavity. Will leave it for a couple of days and see if its made any difference.

thanks

If you need air flow then install a trickle vent, either that or dig out the expanding phone and get some large holed chicken wire and bundle it up. They can't chew through the chicken wire as the gaps in the wire don't give them anything to bite onto.

Sponsored Links
Hi Madrab, we actually have some replacement windows booked in with trickle vents in so hopefully that will help and id never though of the chicken wire, will give that a go once i take some more of the foam out.

I really meant a trickle vent, on the wall in the area where the condensation is occurring. The kitchen is a naturally humid area and condensation is a common problem, the insulation should sort it though as the moist air can't get to the cold pipe any more.

It's really only an issue in the winter when the water is much colder.

I really meant a trickle vent, on the wall in the area where the condensation is occurring. The kitchen is a naturally humid area and condensation is a common problem, the insulation should sort it though as the moist air can't get to the cold pipe any more.

It's really only an issue in the winter when the water is much colder.

Im abit lost now, ive only noticed the condensation after i blocked up the hole in the cavity wall with expanding foam. The warm air in the kitchen must be creating the condensation on the pipes. Ive taken some of the foam out last night to create some ventilation to cool that area down again.

thanks

Yes, the humid air in the kitchen is condensing on the cold water pipe. The little ventilation that there was, was obviously stopping or drying the humid air before it managed to get to the pipe.

So there are 2 choices - either stop the air getting to the pipe using insulation or ventilate the space again.

Yes, the humid air in the kitchen is condensing on the cold water pipe. The little ventilation that there was, was obviously stopping or drying the humid air before it managed to get to the pipe.

So there are 2 choices - either stop the air getting to the pipe using insulation or ventilate the space again.

Apologies, that makes perfect sense, might be another night in the cupboard cutting the foam away tonight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back