Condensation on the inside of all windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I bought a house with my girlfriend in June this year and as it has started to get colder outside we've noticed that every morning practically all of the windows have condensation on the inside. To the point where the water will be driping from the window onto the sills and/or floor.

I would say that is particularly bad in our bedroom which I assume is because we have faux suede blackout curtains but we keep the window open a notch at all times to try and get some air circulating. This does not appear to help.

From a brief look at our neighbours windows on the street, we seem to be the only ones suffering from this?

Any ideas as to what is causing this? Will this cause any damage?

I'm new to the forum so not sure how i attach pictures yet but if you need to see pictures let me know.

Edit: We have double glazing UPVC windows throughout.

Could it be a ventilation (brick) issue or could the CH be causing it ?

Thanks

Nick

Sponsored Links
The hot air from heating and humidity inside is what is causing it. The bedrooms suffer because of heating and your breathing overnight. Keeping a door open can help lessen it and so can air flow around the window.

It's a common problem and your not alone. It's a case of finding ways to lessen it. You could lower the heating a bit although some heat helps lower the humidity. Not drying clothes indoors, open windows, a dehumidifier might help for the worst affected places.

Sponsored Links
thanks for your replies

yeah we dont have a washing line outside at the minute so we do dry all of our clothes inside but this is mainly done in the back lounge not upstairs? unless of course drying the clothes inside just adds to the general humidity of the house?

The windows dont have trickle vents but they do have the nightlocks which we do use.

I will try keeping the bedroom door open to see whether that changes anything.

See the link for pictures of the bedroom window each morning. Is this excessive?

Thanks for your help

Nick

thanks for your replies

yeah we dont have a washing line outside at the minute so we do dry all of our clothes inside but this is mainly done in the back lounge not upstairs? unless of course drying the clothes inside just adds to the general humidity of the house?

The windows dont have trickle vents but they do have the nightlocks which we do use.

I will try keeping the bedroom door open to see whether that changes anything.

See the link for pictures of the bedroom window each morning. Is this excessive?

Thanks for your help

Nick
View media item 52532
Drying washing indoors will add to the condensation in the bedrooms...Warm moist air rises.

You can hire a damp meter from a hire shop and go round checking for damp. That level of dampness does look excessive for double glazed windows.

Check that damp isnt coming in through the front door (or any door) Perhaps the CH system or a water pipe / drain has a small leak causing dampness under the floor which is increasing the humidity ?

we do dry all of our clothes inside
A load of washing can contain two litres of water. Would you sprinkle it round the house from a watering can, or squirt it on the walls from a garden sprayer? If you did, would you expect your house to be damp? Especially if you did it several times a week?

Regardless of temperature, water vapour is lighter than air so it rises through the house until something stops it, or it finds a cool surface to condense on, or it finds an open window to go through. That's why clouds are up in the sky.

Thanks for your help.

Will try not drying clothes inside and see how that changes things.

And make sure you close the door and open the bathroom window when you shower and leave it open for a while after.

The same applies to cooking too but open the kitchen window not bathroom.

If windows are left open on the night vent then leave doors open too to get a through draught.

we do dry all of our clothes inside
A load of washing can contain two litres of water. Would you sprinkle it round the house from a watering can, or squirt it on the walls from a garden sprayer? If you did, would you expect your house to be damp? Especially if you did it several times a week?

Regardless of temperature, water vapour is lighter than air so it rises through the house until something stops it, or it finds a cool surface to condense on, or it finds an open window to go through. That's why clouds are up in the sky.

We hang them in the bathroom normally, there is a humidistat fan in there.. so shutting the door, the humidistat fan kicks in and solved the condensation problem, but agreed about the amount of moisture it introduces into the air... damages radiators and wallpaper behind radiators tend to peel from hanging washing on radiators.

Alternatively, you can buy a de-humidifier if you dont want to open windows.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back