Condensation under toilet looking like a leak?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a toilet on a tiled floor and every now and then there is water around the bottom of it.

I’ve previously checked that the pan connector, inlet, capped overflow and cistern fixings aren’t leaking so today pulled it out. It’s wet on the underside where there are no connections:

8EF770AF-5126-4AAC-B523-50E770CE7924.jpeg

D3ADD874-7AD6-4A35-8BF6-2E07CA94C538.jpeg

BE320283-9303-4727-B254-6CEBE0CCB19C.jpeg

Could this be condensation? I have no extra for at the minute, just an open window for letting the shower steam out.

Any ideas? Thanks

Sponsored Links
I can't see too much from your pics Ian ,are you saying the inside of the pan moulding is damp all over ? I very much doubt it is condensation in there.

Well I for one have never came across condensation in that area ,but if its a mist all over in there I can't think what else it can be. If the ceramic had a pin hole leak in there ( which I have seen a few times ) you tend to get a dribble in one place. How about packing insulation in there ,see how it goes ?

Sponsored Links
I’ll try some drain dye in it (y)

I did that a while ago when the pan connector leaked. I’ve just swapped the ballvalve too, that wasn’t shutting the water off and it was overflowing.

Better bathrooms stuff really is crap.

Ian, use drain dye, you must have some.

Put it in the cistern and leave it over night without flushing, this will show up any leaks in the cistern. Then the following day if everything is ok then flush the toilet and see if the leak appears.

Andy

Ian ,did you ever put dye in ? What was the result ? Regards Terry.

Nothing showed, I put green in the cistern and red in the pan.

Yes but don’t use it. It’s clear of the pan too.

I think i’m going to take it outside and fill it up while I can look under it.

Hi Ian,
I have the exact same problem. I have water coming from under the toilet. It is not a leak from anywhere. I have tested it. the water runs towards the back, which is the only part without silicone as it is a back to wall toilet. It has gone in to the mdd unit and it has damaged it...
I can't understand why this happens. Underneath it is tiles and there is no condensation anywhere else...
Did you find a solution? I am tempted to fill the hollow part under the toilet with expanding foam or something like that.
Thanks

I filled it with blue drain dye and the water came out through a hairline crack on the back. I dried it and smeared CT1 over the crack and it’s not leaked since (y)

Hi, I seam to have condensation in my downstairs loo. It is a tiled floor and the toilet is positioned with silicone. I noticed the floor was wet on the left side (looking at the toilet) and so monitored it over time. I put a small plastic tray and a small amount of water collected over time. Then it seemed to stop. Today when cleaning it was a little wet again. I felt behind. It is where the toilet meeets the floor that it feels wetish cold. I have put tissue there at the moment to soak the moisture. I am going to do the blue-loo test on Monday. I do hope it is just condensation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back