Condensation via concrete step?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, my front door has been getting a lot of condensation at the bottom. Literally dripping off and on to the floor. The concrete steps sit between the brickwork of the house and so are exposed on the outside. Internally I have painted them before with masonry paint which got damp and flaked off. So I am of the mind that the concrete steps are soaking up moisture and cold causing the condensation? Is there anything I can paint them with to help or a better solution? Pictures below to help with the description:

PXL_20231110_140506112.jpgPXL_20231110_140426270.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Are you saying that that is one solid lump of concrete under the cill, so the step inside is the same bit of concrete?

Yes that is correct. So the top step you see on the outside is also visible on the inside painted white.

Maybe this picture helps better. But its the same lump of concrete. Just on the inside its painted white.
PXL_20231110_142027660.jpg

Sponsored Links
What's underneath the timber floor? How much work do you want to put in to solve it? In order to solve the problem you could gun off a big chunk of that step internally, add a bit of insulation and then build up the inner skin thus creating a thermal break. Timber step over it to hide it but might need to lift the timber floor internally.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back