Condensation..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whenever it drops cold during the night the windows in my main bedroom and bathroom fill up with condensation.I have heating on at night untill around 10pm and it comes on again in morning around 5am.I used to get a little line across bottom of window but it now covers the whole of the glass.Any body know how to stop this or what may be causing it..I have considered buying a de-humidifier..

Sponsored Links
How old is your house? How long have you lived there?

Do you have a fan in the bathroom that is always used during and after baths and showers?

Does anyone in your house like to leave damp washing lying about the house or draped over radiators?

Does this condensation happen in all rooms?

Are the bathroom and bedroom next to each other?

How do you ventilate the house at night?

House is about 25 years old.
No fan in bathroom ,but windows always opened directly after using.
All damp washing goes in dryer in garage.
Condensation mainly in bathroom and bedroom,both on front of house.daughters bedroom gets a little on back of house but not as bad.
Never get any downstairs.
Windows open during day to allow fresh air and sometimes left on catch at night weather permitting..
Hope this helps..

Look for any sign of a plumbing leak, poss under the floor or under the bath, or from a radiator, or in the loft. You can sometimes smell damp plaster or flooring.

Try to work out if the misting pattern has anything to do with using the bath or shower; or turning on the CH.

If your CH is a sealed system, you should notice a leak because the pressure drops.

If you have a F&E tank in the loft, you can check for leakage by filling it an inch above the usual water level (by pressing down the ball valve) and checking after a few days to see if it has gone down.

Sponsored Links
We have a sealed central heating system so i think were ok there..
Did wonder about been linked to bath/shower,as bathroom is small and gets very steamy when in use this time of year,which is why i considerd getting dehumidifier..
We also have a third bedroom that is used as an office situated at back of house next to daughters and this is no problem,just appears to be bathroom and bedrooms that are slept in..

An extractor fan will be 20 times cheaper to buy, and a hundred times cheaper to run, than a dehumidifier. It will also take up less than a hundredth the amount of space.

For good results have one that comes on automatically with the light switch, otherwise people won't bother to turn it on.

You will be amazed at what a difference it makes. Instead of the bathroom window and WC cistern streaming with water after a hot bath, they will be clean or lightly misted. The steam will never get a chance to build up. It will also not introduce cold breezes like an open window can (which causes people to shut it), and will work even if the wind is in the wrong direction. By causing slight suction it will prevent steam drifting into the rest of the house.

Thanx for that..Would you recomend light fittings that double up as extractors?? Seems a lot less hassle just to change light fitting than having to knock holes in wall and messing with electrics..

sorry, no experience of them. there are some low-voltage ones used in shower enclosures but I don't think they're bright enough for a room.

You can hire a core drill to make the hole in your wall very neatly.

For electrical safety and simplicity (more info available - seach +bathroom +zones) it is better not to have the fan directly above a bath or shower.

If you vent it through the ceiling you can use a flexible duct to lead the steam out through the eaves and soffit (it must not vent into the loft) or you can get a tile vent (needs a roofer to fit it) - lots of discussions on the forum - use "search" on here and "+bathroom +fan"

Edited - see also (there are lots more)
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=445326#445326

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back