Condenser Boiler Overflow Drip.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently moved into a new build and noticed a drip from what I assume is an overflow pipe every 10 seconds or so. The boiler is a Ideal Logic System S24 which I believe is a condenser boiler. Is this normal or is it a problem? Look forward to your answers and

Best wishes from,

Gibson.

Sponsored Links
Are you sure it's an overflow pipe? What pipe specifically is it or can you post a pic. Is it copper or plastic?

If it's a new build then you're looking to get the site office/contact involved, nothing should be dripping anywhere, if it's dripping then yes it's a problem. To what degree is another question.

IMG_8480.jpg

Thanks for the response Madrab, as you can see it's copper and the boiler is in the garage about 5 metres from the outlet pipe.

Best wishes from,

Gibson.

Sponsored Links
There is an unvented hot water cylinder? If so then that needs looked at. Have you been in there for a few years? If so then the cylinder needs serviced by a qualified engineer.

Yeah, it's coming up for 2 years. I'm not sure how to tell if the cylinder in the airing cupboard is unvented, could you point me in right direction. What sought of problem would cause this in the cylinder?

Best wishes from,

Gibson.

Stick another pic of the cylinder on here. There will be a copper pipe from a large valve assembly and a smaller valve on the cylinder that will probably join up and lead to a small plastic basket like connection (tundish) and you may see water dripping into that
th

Looks like you are right! Not seen this before, hidden by airing cupboard towels. What is causing the drips and can I rectify or is it a job for a professional. Appreciate your help so far Madrab.

Best wishes from,

Gibson.

Attachments

• IMG_8523-1.jpg
    IMG_8523-1.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_8523.jpg
    IMG_8523.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 36
You need a G3 certified plumber / engineer to service the unvented cylinder ,the pressure relief valve is passing water.

We need to know the make of your unvented cylinder. If you can send a pic of the front with the label/name/maker etc. There are certain ones that can have a certain function performed by the client. If not then as suggested you'll need an engineer qualified to service unvented cylinders.

The OSO supercoil, all round good cylinder IMO. It has expansion vessel(s) inside that grey cover on top. You will need an qualified engineer in to service the unit. Make sure he is qualified and check his ticket is in date. Point out the problem too (just in case).

In the future can I recommend that it is serviced yearly at the same time as your boiler.

Thanks again for the input Madrab. I didni't realise the cylinder needed a service let alone yearly!

Best wishes from,

Gibson.

Thanks again for the input Madrab. I didni't realise the cylinder needed a service let alone yearly!
Unless it has been pointed out then most people wouldn't know, so no fault there. As it is a regulated piece of equipment then it should have its safety systems and general health checked yearly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back