Condensing a dryer...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I needed a dryer but since my budget for one was limited I went for a vented model. I also bought one of those 'condensing kits' that you plug the vent into to stop the condensation. Needless to say it didn't work at all. So not only have I wasted money but my cupboard is filled with condensation. Is there anyway of condensing all the hot air the dryer produces without having to drill a hole in the side of my house? It's really something I don't want to do.

Sponsored Links
There's not really any other option. However, there's a small compromise but it depends on the construction of your house.

You can get a connector piece that converts the outlet hose into a rectangular outlet, the same price as a brick.

If you have a double skin brick wall remove a brick from the inner skin and one from the outer skin and stick your vent though the hole.

If however your inner wall is breeze block then you'll have to cut a hole out.

That way, if you ever want to fill the hole you can just stick the bricks back in.

OK, so it's not as simple as it sounds but it's a better and neater solution than drilling a 100mm hole.

There are a couple of things to watch out for though - the main one being if you have cavity wall insulation - it'll all come spilling out when you remove that brick.

mmm, sounds like it could be annoying. Would it make a difference if I bought a condensing dryer instead of a vented one? Don't want to return the vented one and spend more money on a condenser if it just causes similar problems!

A condensing dryer will need plumbing into a waste outlet. They're also less effective than a vented one (assuming the vented one is properly vented), generally taking longer to dry clothes and therefore costlier to run.

Regards

Fred

Sponsored Links
Condensor driers also release a certain amount of water vapour. Some more than others. From a recent "Which" report I see that some release a litre and a half of water.

However, I found that hiring a core drill set from my local hire shop made the drilling of a 110mm hole in the house wall very easy.

Having hired one for the day, I made holes for shower extractor, tumble drier, utility room ventilator, ventilator in workroom just to get more use out of it.

Sounds like the condensing units are nearly as bad as the vented ones then!

JohnD how did you insulate the holes after you drilled them? I have problems with drafts etc and wasn't really keen on adding another hole in my house. But if I have to then I'd rather do it properly or I could end up living in something that resembles swiss cheese!

I poke a piece of UPVC soil pipe through the hole and mortar round the edges. I have loose fill fibreglass cavity insulation so I pack loft fibreglass insulation into the hole in a sleeve round the duct. I have small hands and arms so I can reach through the duct to pack mortar round the duct on other side of the wall.

You can buy short lengths of plastic duct if you haven't got soil pipe and can't find an off-cut in a skip.

I use these hooded cowls on the outside to keep the weather out. Don't use the ones like plastic venetian blinds as they rattle annoyingly in the wind. On the inside, if you have no appliance, use a hit and miss vent.

p1849536_l.jpg

the cowls are made in brown, grey and white. The white ones seem to go brittle in sunlight. You can paint them with nondrip gloss (before fitting) to help them blend in. Fix with brass or stainless screws

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back