condensing boiler over pressurising

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any ideas please on a vaillant combi condensing boiler ecomax 8242/2e? The pressure rises to 3 bar when the central heating kicks in. Then water comes out of the pressure relief valve and the boiler has to be topped up (got so bad it was every day) Now we are £200 poorer after engineer fitted new relief valve and we still have water leaking outside on the flat roof and when the central heating kicks in the needle creeps up to 3 bar within about 10 minutes and water passes through the PRV. cheers.

Sponsored Links
Get the engineer back to fix it properly, and hopefully with no extra labour charge.

You/he need to check the expansion vessel, see FAQ's on how to do this.

The PRV is doing its job properly :rolleyes:

If this doesn't work it is usually the plate HE holed. Heard of several on Vaillants having this problem. I now have one on an Ecotec Plus that has holed within 2 years :eek:

whats the pressure at before heating kicks in? is the filling loop passing after you top the system? (you may think have turned it of but it could still pass) :)

Cheers for advice-engineer asked for a bicycle pump whilst he was here last time-I'm guessing this was to repressurise the expansion vessel-he didn't say what happened though so will check with him Monday.
We did have the situation this week when we were unsure what was going on and the boiler pressure just kept dropping to zero then we would fill to 1.5 bar and then when central heating called for it obviously over- pressurised and then chucked water out the valve. Pretty sure filling loop closed-I suppose should have explained this bit before sorry :oops: we have had to turn off the heating now and just give ourselves 10 minute blasts when we are really cold! What do you think it might cost for either expansion vessel or heat exchange plate to be replaced?

Sponsored Links
bicycle pump :?:

is the pump fitted with a pressure gauge ?

did the 'engineer' use a separate gauge ?

it sounds to me like the guy is guessing.

if he does not carry the right tools the chances are that he doesn't know what hes doing.

no pressure guage on pump-just the one for a kids bike-these guys fitted the boiler 4 years ago fo us-seem like nice blokes :confused:

with the boiler drained the pressure at the expansion vessel should read about 0.5-0.7 bar. this has to be measured with a gauge.

As stated above the boiler should be drained first, If you press the Schroder valve in is there air? if you get water then the expansion vessel has failed. When you repressurise the system doe's the gauge climb
rapidly? if so then the expansion vessel is at fault, could be a blockage in the pipe work between boiler and expansion vessel but I never had this happen with a Vaillant..... yet

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back