Condensor Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My boiler (Vailiant 837) has been fitted but the plumber has left a bucket under the condensor pipe. He has done this because, later on, I'm relocating the washing machine. I will be having a hole knocked out of the wall and waste put directly into the drains. He said he will finish it all then and then sign the boiler off.

Every day, I am emptying about 1 ltr of water out of the bucket. I can't help but think this is too much - am I right?

Why would a litre of water expel itself from the system daily?

Sponsored Links
Its a by product of combustion. Perfectly normal.

Bit naughty of the guy top leave it like that though. No doubt we've all done it at some point or other.

The water isn't coming from the system, it's condensation from the efficient combustion of gas (CH4 + 2,O2 => CO2 + H20)

A litre a day really isn't very much at all and suggests your boiler isn't running as efficiently as it could be. Mind you, that could just be because it's massively oversized for your system - the trade-off on a combi is that greater hot water flow means a loss of efficency in heating your home. The book says your boiler, running at max efficiency, will produce 2.9 litres of condensate per hour

Sponsored Links
We don't have the boiler on much. The house is incredibly warm.

We've moved from a drafty victorian house, where the heating was on 24/7 for about 7 months of the year, to a house where the heating is only on for a two or three hours per day on the very coldest of days only. Sometimes, the house is so warm, that I have to open windows both upstairs and downstairs. House seems to hold the heat and sticks around 21 degrees without any heating on at all. Guess we're lucky really.

Mine ran into a rhino tub during my extension.
Used a big tub @50litres incase i forgot to empty it daily.
Bloody thing weighed a ton full.
I could get 5 days max 6 or 7 and it would over flow.

Had a 2 litre sprite bottle for a year or two..... SWMBO got quite used to emptying it each morning and evening.

Forgot the morning of the Gas Safe inspection had though :LOL: he saw the funny side.

I do it regularly to get heating and hot water back on asap. Condense run is done day after.

don't pee on bleach either it releases nitrogen trichloride. I'm still alive tho.

condense water is about acidic as vinegar or tomato juice. Hardly volatile stuff. Even less so when mixed with 6 or 9 litres of water.
might ask brainiacs to look into it.

The level of acidity I don't think is enough to cause any reaction, condensate is only as acidic as tomato juice.Bob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back