Black Grit / Sand from condensor collecting unit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On the bottom left of my Worcester 24i Greenstar boiler (or 28i) I unattached the condensor pipe but no water came out. Next to the pipe was another smaller yellow screw cap (facing upwards). When I unscrewed this a lot of dark water came out mixed with black grit / sand. There was a lot of grit in the cap also. Is this normal?

PS, my bolier isn't working. Red reset light, flashing blue light every 2 / 3 seconds.

Sponsored Links
The black grit is the slough off from the aluminium heat exchanger and is normal.

This won't cause your boiler to break down (not unless it has blocked the condense syphon)

More info needed on the issues your having

Thanks for your reply.

Basically the boiler was working fine until Saturday morning. It had come on that morning with the timer and heated the house and I remember running the hot tap for a long time to clean dishes. Then it cut off.

The red reset lights flashes and the blue status light flashes every 2 / 3 seconds. I have tried the condensor pipe trick having removed it completely. I have reset it a number of times and also turned it off at the wall. On reset it makes some noises, clicking etc, the green gas light temporarily comes on and goes out, the service light too lights up and goes out. It doesn't sound like the fan comes on. However, If I hit the reset button, it goes out as it resets, and then hold it down, the fan or something different seems to kick in and stays on for 10 seconds until the same reset light flashes again. This is different from a normal reset but not sure what that tells you. I have tried running hot tap and turn off heating. No hot water.

If I leave it on with the lights flashing I can hear it if I am in the room above, like it is doing something, the same sort of hum I would normally hear when it first comes on and is warming up the house when it usually works.

Please help. Am stuck with no hot water or heating and my missus is pregnant. BG wont come out til next Tuesday.

Sponsored Links
Well it rained last night, the temp went up a couple of degrees and British Gas came out earlier than expected and all the engineer did was hit the reset button. Considering I had removed the condensor pipe has anyone got any idea what has got it working again? I must have reset it 30 times. Arggghhhh!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back