No hot water from any taps!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had somene today change a radiator from a long old radiator to a shorter new model. When doing so he bled all the other radiators in the house and said at some stage he needs to the flush the entire system as black old water came from the old radiators when bled. Anyway I left him to his work and returned home this evening to no hot water!

I have a combi Worcester 28i Junior, the light is coming on and the heating system is working great (every radiator is working including new model). But coming home tonight kitchen, bathroom no hot water coming from any tap (no water at all coming from the tap, cold works fine).

Having no idea about plumbing, there is a large white tap handle (with red colour on top) below the boiler and also black handle attached to one of the pipes below the boiler. Do any of these taps need turning? Hopefully I can upload a image of the boiler soon!

NB: my system is mains feed i.e - I have no water tank

Sponsored Links
Sounds like he turned an isolation valve off. I suggest you just ring him and explain the problem so he can recall which valve you need to turn back on and where it is! - Better still insist he come out and fix it pronto!

Sounds like he turned an isolation valve off. I suggest you just ring him and explain the problem so he can recall which valve you need to turn back on and where it is! - Better still insist he come out and fix it pronto!

Exactly he will be out here pronto tomorrow!

Plumber telephoned me back and explained to me that I needed to turn the valve below the boiler back on. Used a flat head, turned from horizontal to vertical. Hot water started to pour immediately, problem solved.

I'm a novice to boilers, can someone tell me what this valve is this (name)? water valve?

Anyway plumber shouldn't make a basic mistake like this!

Sponsored Links
If the valve is warm when you draw off hot water it will the first one "DHW" meaning Domestic Hot Water.

If it is cold when drawing off hot water it will be second which would be the cold water mains feeding the boiler.

Either will have the effect of turning off your Hot Water supply when a combi is fitted.
"Isolation Valves" are also sometimes called "Service Valves"

As you have found out they are simply a ball in the fitting with a hole through it for water to pass. The hole is aligned with the screwdriver slot so if it is at 90 degrees to the line of the pipe it stops water flowing. Line it up and water flows again. Sometimes you get them with a handle or knob on top and they get used for appliances like washing machine connections the only difference being one end has a thread to suit a hose connection.

Be aware that they need to be dead on 90 degrees to stop water 100%, just a bit out and water can trickle past.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back