Conduit for running cable behind plaster

That's actually very arguable. For example, the very study that the government commissioned - The Isles Report - during the initial trial period of the belt law came to the conclusion that making use of belts in the front seats mandatory had resulted in no statistically significant drop in the number of injuries and fatalities on Britain's roads.
That basically flies in the face of common sense. The problem with many of the studies has been that, at least in terms of the 'headline findings', deaths and 'serious injuries' (fairly widely defined - sometimes merely an injury resulting in hospitalisation) are lumped together. Wearing seatbelts generally moves one down the severity scale - hence some deaths will turn into serious injuries, some serious injuries into less serious injuries etc - but the lumped-together-total does not necessarily change that much.

Another problem with many of the statistics which compare pre- and post-legislation deaths/injuries is that, by the time the legislation came, a very substantial proportion of people were already ('voluntarily') wearing seatbelts, so the comparison is not really valid.

If you're destined (by speed etc.) to die as a result of a decelleration injury (like Princess Di did, and like most plane crash victims do), then you're going to die - a seatbelt cannot prevent that and may even increase the risk slightly. The main benefit from seatbelts is in relation to serious facial/head and chest injuries due to impact with parts of the vehicle.

I'm not saying that use of a seatbelt has never done any harm, but I do think you weaken the impact of your argument by mentioning it.
At least you accept that they have been harmful; some people absolutely refuse to accept that possibility at all, despite evidence to the contrary.
Only an idiot would deny that it happens occasionally. As I said, virtually everything in this world which is designed to do good also has the capacity to occasionally do harm. If you've ever taken any medicines (or even eaten food), you must have decided to accept that inevitability.

But even if it is only a tiny percentage of cases, it still means that the state is mandating the use of something which might prove harmful to one's health, even fatal. .... I think that strengthens the argument against the legislation rather than weakening it.

The problem is that the argument is essentially spurious, because you effectively neutralise it yourself. If you were saying that you would agree with compulsory seatbelt use if the risk of it doing harm were zero, then that would be fine. However, the truth presumably is that you would continue to oppose the legislation, for what I regard as the 'right' reasons, even if the risk of seatbelts doing harm was zero. In other words, the argument about potential harm does nothing to change views, in which case opponents will grab onto it as a sign that you are arguing for the sake of arguing, since the absence of risk of harm would not change your bottom-line view.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
]So, I guess one way to proceed would be to present a reasoned engineering argument as to why one believes that "Reasonable provsions...." have been applied and leave it for them to challenge that argument if they so wished (remembering that, as a public body, they are susceptible to Judicial Review).
Indeed. It is for the authority to prove that "reasonable provision" has not been made if it so believes. ...... With all of that, is there really any chance whatsoever that a local authority could actually prove its case in court?
Second-guessing the decisions of courts is obviously a mug's game!

If their case were solely based on non-compliance with the current version of BS7671, then I think it very probably that they would have touble with Judicial Review, on the basis of it being procedurally incorrect (since the legislation does not require compliance with BS7671). The greatest problem would be that they would presumably wheel out a succession of 'experts' who asserted that what the current version of BS7671 says reflects current views of what is acceptably safe (and therefore would satisfy P1) - BAS and many others here would presumably be happy to be part of that 'succession of experts'. To counter that, the defence would have to produce 'experts' prepared to testify that they belived what had been done to be acceptably safe and hence compliant with P1. The court (or whatever) would then decide what to conclude on the basis of the contradictory opinions of 'experts'.

In many senses, you'd be far more likely to win (i.e. be acquitted) if you were facing a criminal prosecution; the defence would then only have to establish 'a reasonable doubt' and the existance of some expert opinions on your side would go a long way to achieving that. However, if you were merely JRing an LABC decision, then I presume (but may be wrong) that the civil 'burden of proof' would apply, so that they would only have to work in terms of 'the balance of probabilities' - i.e. be 51% convinced by the other side's experts to find against you.

Kind Regards, John.

The fact that the vast majority of houses in the UK do not meet the requirements of the current version of BS7671 and people are not dropping dead like flies ought to weigh heavily in favour of the defence.

The fact that the vast majority of houses in the UK do not meet the requirements of the current version of BS7671 and people are not dropping dead like flies ought to weigh heavily in favour of the defence.
Indeed so. In fact, if such a matter did ever get into court, or in front of a judge, (which I very much doubt it would) I rather suspect that the legal interpretation of the legislation (P1), the words of which require only that there be 'reasonable provisions' to prevent injury and fire etc., may fall very far short of what is required to satisfy BS7671:2008.

The legislation is so half-hearted (when it so easily could have been very different) that one cannot help but speculate as to whether the person who drafted it didn't actually want it to have any significant teeth!

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
The problem with many of the studies has been that, at least in terms of the 'headline findings', deaths and 'serious injuries' (fairly widely defined - sometimes merely an injury resulting in hospitalisation) are lumped together. Wearing seatbelts generally moves one down the severity scale - hence some deaths will turn into serious injuries, some serious injuries into less serious injuries etc - but the lumped-together-total does not necessarily change that much.

And conversely some minor injuries become more serious injuries, and serious injuries become fatalities. But that doesn't hold up when you look at the published figures just for the fatalities in 1982 versus 1983. They simply do not show a significant drop.

Another problem with many of the statistics which compare pre- and post-legislation deaths/injuries is that, by the time the legislation came, a very substantial proportion of people were already ('voluntarily') wearing seatbelts, so the comparison is not really valid.

Again, that doesn't hold up against the government's published estimates for the percentages wearing belts before and after the legislation. The official estimates for immediately before the legislation range quite widely from one source to another from about 20 to 40%. All sources state that usage rose to over 90% afterward. Now obviously government statistics are always suspect, but as these are the figures the government was using to support its other claims, we have little else to go on. Even going from the higher pre-legislation figure of 40% up to over 90%, if they were as effective at saving lives as claimed, you would expect to see a substantial drop in the number of fatalities. That drop simply did not happen.

As I said, virtually everything in this world which is designed to do good also has the capacity to occasionally do harm. If you've ever taken any medicines (or even eaten food), you must have decided to accept that inevitability.

Indeed. When people start talking about "on balance seat belts probably do more good than harm" as a supposed defense of mandatory use that makes for a valid comparison. There are many medicines and drugs which are highly beneficial, but which in a small number of cases can have drastic side effects. That doesn't mean that their use should be mandated by the state because you'll probably be better off taking them. That decision has to rest with the person the drug will affect if it goes wrong. And seat belts - or any other device which has the potential to do good or to cause harm - are no different. In fact during the debate immediately before the 1983 legislation I remember one government spokesman admitting that in a small number of cases belts might prove harmful (something they would not even admit to at all today), but that it was estimated that this would be in only around 0.5% of cases. Personally I think that figure is nowhere near the mark, but even if correct, that still means that in 1 out of every 200 accidents the belt does more harm than good. If a drug killed or seriously damaged the health of somebody in "only" 1 in 200 cases, there would be calls for it to be banned, nevermind trying to make its use compulsory.

But of course, even if a drug is entirely beneficial and has absolutely no potential for harmful side effects, I think we would agree that the state still has no business to try and force people to use it by way of legislation, any more than it should mandate the wearing of a coat to go outside in the winter, or that we should face prosecution and fines for eating the "wrong" foods.

The problem is that the argument is essentially spurious, because you effectively neutralise it yourself. If you were saying that you would agree with compulsory seatbelt use if the risk of it doing harm were zero, then that would be fine. However, the truth presumably is that you would continue to oppose the legislation, for what I regard as the 'right' reasons, even if the risk of seatbelts doing harm was zero.

I most certainly would, just as I would oppose any attempts to make use of certain medicines compulsory, a particular diet compulsory, etc.

In other words, the argument about potential harm does nothing to change views, in which case opponents will grab onto it as a sign that you are arguing for the sake of arguing, since the absence of risk of harm would not change your bottom-line view.

I don't see that as arguing for sake of arguing though. The basic principle that what steps I take for my own personal safety are not for the government to dictate is still there. The fact that the state is mandating something which might actually prove harmful just makes it even worse.

Better get back to wiring.....

The greatest problem would be that they would presumably wheel out a succession of 'experts' who asserted that what the current version of BS7671 says reflects current views of what is acceptably safe (and therefore would satisfy P1) - BAS and many others here would presumably be happy to be part of that 'succession of experts'.

To which one could counter that the government's own "experts" have explicitly stated (by way of the Approved Document, which supposedly represents the view of the Secretary of State, no less) that compliance with other standards is deemed to be compliance with the requirements of P1 of the building regs.

In many senses, you'd be far more likely to win (i.e. be acquitted) if you were facing a criminal prosecution; the defence would then only have to establish 'a reasonable doubt' and the existance of some expert opinions on your side would go a long way to achieving that. However, if you were merely JRing an LABC decision, then I presume (but may be wrong) that the civil 'burden of proof' would apply, so that they would only have to work in terms of 'the balance of probabilities' - i.e. be 51% convinced by the other side's experts to find against you.

That may well be the case if one were just trying to get the local authority to accept the installation and issue a building certificate because it was needed for some purpose. I have to wonder about all the cases in a year in which a local authority refuses to issue a certificate because it claims that something (not necessarily Part P) doesn't meet the building regulations: In how many of those cases where the homeowner then doesn't follow up and do whatever is demanded by the local council does that council attempt to take the matter to court for the offense of failing to comply with the building regulations?

As I've noted before, the legislation on this seems very heavily skewed in favor of the local authority. If you or I do not comply with any provision of the regulations (such as they are, talking only in vague terms about "reasonable provision") that's an offense. The same regulations state the the local authority must issue a completion certificate if it is satisfied that the requirement of the regulations have been met, yet the statute explicitly states that it is not an offense for the local authority to refuse to issue a certificate.

So the council can prosecute a homeowner for failing to comply with the building regulations, but when a homeowner has complied fully but an obstructive building department is being completely unreasonable and refusing to issue a certificate, the homeowner's only option is that judicial review on a civil level. It seems to be a charter for the local authority to pretty much do whatever it likes with no consequences. But then that seems to be the way the whole system is going.

But of course, even if a drug is entirely beneficial and has absolutely no potential for harmful side effects, I think we would agree that the state still has no business to try and force people to use it by way of legislation, any more than it should mandate the wearing of a coat to go outside in the winter, or that we should face prosecution and fines for eating the "wrong" foods.
Quite so - and that is why I very strongly believer that use of seatbelts by sane adults should not be compulsory. I don't really want to waste time arguing about the extent to which seatbelts can do harm, not the least because I think it's totally irrelevant - you and I have agreed that seatbelt wearing (by sane adults) should not be compusory even if there was zero risk of their doing harm.

So the council can prosecute a homeowner for failing to comply with the building regulations, but when a homeowner has complied fully but an obstructive building department is being completely unreasonable and refusing to issue a certificate, the homeowner's only option is that judicial review on a civil level.
I think far too many people don't realise that they theoretically have means of recourse against an LA, but I have heard of several cases (not involving P1) of people who did know, in which the mere threat of 'taking the matter further' has caused the LA to back down. Probably far more people should do that.

Kind Regards, John

you and I have agreed that seatbelt wearing (by sane adults) should not be compusory even if there was zero risk of their doing harm.

On that we can most certainly agree.

I think far too many people don't realise that they theoretically have means of recourse against an LA, but I have heard of several cases (not involving P1) of people who did know, in which the mere threat of 'taking the matter further' has caused the LA to back down. Probably far more people should do that.

Just as I believe that when some official starts saying that you must do this, or that you must not do that, people should be more ready to demand to know exactly which piece of legislation says so. Many times there simply isn't any such legal requirement and it's just an official trying to bully people into doing something the way he thinks it should be done. And as you have rather implied, bullies tend to back down when confronted with somebody who stands his ground and doesn't just think "Well he's the official, he must know the rules."

Paul_C - why don't you f*** off to the USA and join the Tea Party - you obviously share their barking mad aversion to governments.

BAS - Why have you become such a nasty, foul-mouthed person to anyone who says anything with which you disagree?

Sorry - can't help it in your case - the way you bang on about the government opressing you with seat belt legislation, Buildings Regulations legislation, about how BS 7671 is being used as a stealth weapon by the EU and so on - you're a paranoid ***t.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back