What conduit behind batterned plasterboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know there is no need for conduit behind plasterboard if it is horizontal/vertical from the socket/switch or 150mm from wall corner or ceiling but I would like to use it.

I am planning to fix batterns to the brick walls of my house for the plasterboard. I would like to install conduit from switch/sockets to under floor and ceilings. This will enable me to prepare all the socket backs, batterns and plasterboard before skimming and then later get the electrician to do the cabling etc.

I have read various conflicting posts about if two T&E 2.5mm can be run in one 20mm conduit. Can anyone please advice if I can use flexible 20mm conduit like below and glans into the metal back boxes?

If not what would you advice?
Thanks Jono
p1417189_x.jpg

Sponsored Links
it'd be tight I'd imagine, could use 2 conduits though?

For the sockets why not go horzontally around the room? and if its all in conduit you could even use singles as opposed to T&E

Oh, and I'd use ridgid conduit... that flexable stuff would probably be quite difficult to draw cable through any length of

Adam_151 said:
Oh, and I'd use ridgid conduit... that flexable stuff would probably be quite difficult to draw cable through any length of

that flexible conduit is very popular in other countries, but it gives little mechanical protection, also singles you would have to pull an earth through too

Thanks for your replies. I thought of using the flexible as it's not going to be used for long distances.

From light switch to ceiling - 1600mm max
From sockets to under floor - 700mm max (90deg bend)

At the moment I have no floors or ceilings so I can lay everything out properly. I needed to remove virtually all wood due to the good old wood worm :(

I have already purchased the T&E, I have no worries about using 2 conduits.

Sponsored Links
two 2.5mm cables will fit in a 20mm kopex/coduit,its frigging tight in the kopex(flexible) though and a nightmare to pull through

Make sure you put a draw wire into the conduit whilst you can still get at it.

You are as good as b*gg***d to get the T&E through without.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back