Conduit behind plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Below is a picture of a cooker socket and outlet that I am installing for an induction hob.

As you can see I have placed the conduit and socket/outlet into the original chasing (naturally the supply cable, will drop in form the top, also in conduit).. The problem I have is that I now want put up some plasterboard on the wall with the sockets, deep enough that it can meet the back wall and box in the pipes which I have routed into the corner.

This would require the battens to be 60mm deep, plus the 12.5mm plasterboard (pipe is 60mm from the wall).

I would prefer to keep the metal back boxes rather than switch to drywall boxes, simply because the metal ones seem a more solid fix.

I reckoned on adding some 12.5mm plasterboard, and then fixing the 47mm backboxes to that (above the solid wall, not over the existing chased positions, which will bring them 60mm from the wall, give or take).

My question now is about the conduit, because I am not clear on the regs regarding conduit in drywall. Can I continue to use it, clipped to the wall? Does the surface of the conduit need to be at least 50mm below the surface of the plasterboard?

I'd like to install this in such a way that, if there are any issues, an electrician could easily pull the cables.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

ygO26aAl.jpg

Sponsored Links
Get knockout boxes with the holes next to the wall.

As always, thanks for the very quick reply.

When you say next to the wall, do you mean the rear knockouts that you get in a box like this? Are you advising that I should fix the conduit to the wall, bring the boxes forward and then feed the cable from the rear?

Am I correct in thinking that the distance from the outer surface of the plasterboard to the nearest surface of the conduit is supposed to be at least 50mm? (or is that only if it is outside of a zone)

ae235

Last edited:
Yes like that picture but it will be more noticable with 47mm. Boxes.

I'm a bit confused about what you are trying to do.
If you put plasterboard over the chase then you will still be able to fish cables through, with or without conduit.

Is dot and dab not better than battens?

Sponsored Links
Yes like that picture but it will be more noticable with 47mm. Boxes.

I'm a bit confused about what you are trying to do.
If you put plasterboard over the chase then you will still be able to fish cables through, with or without conduit.

Is dot and dab not better than battens?

Thanks. The reason for battens is that I want to bring the wall far enough forward to hide the pipes that I moved into the corner (should probably have gone a bit further and brought them onto the same wall). Something like the plan view picture below (new plasterboard in pink). Given the depth (back of plasterboard needs to be 60mm from the wall), I thought that battens would be most appropriate.

As you say, it doesn't need conduit to fish them, but I just thought it might be better to protect them, and might make pulling them a bit easier. What I didn't want to do was clip them direct to the wall.

abJtfdil.jpg

Am I correct in thinking that the distance from the outer surface of the plasterboard to the nearest surface of the conduit is supposed to be at least 50mm?
If the circuit doesn't have RCD protection, the cables must be at least 50mm from the wall surface.
If there is an RCD then there is no depth requirement.

If the circuit doesn't have RCD protection, the cables must be at least 50mm from the wall surface.
If there is an RCD then there is no depth requirement.

Ah, that's OK then, because if I do get an electrician in, I will get them to add RCD (either to just the cooker circuit, or all of the currently unprotected circuit) along with any other work. In fact, as I posted recently, I may well just get one in to do the RCD.

Are you not boarding the wall on the left?

Pipes could be hidden without losing as much space.

I had thought of doing so, but I think it's probably going to work best boarding on the right, just because of layout of the rest of the kitchen.

Could you not just "box" in the pipes ? Seems a lot of kitchen space to be wasting.
At last house, dad did it with a single diagonal board across the corner - designed to take single tile without cutting. It really wasn't at all intrusive.
Kitchen fitters will hate you for it, but it shouldn't be beyond a competent fitter to work around.

At last house, dad did it with a single diagonal board across the corner - designed to take single tile without cutting. It really wasn't at all intrusive.
Kitchen fitters will hate you for it, but it shouldn't be beyond a competent fitter to work around.
A friend of mine did this, except he didn't put any board in, just tiles and as it was done after the units and worktops the only cutting was to accomodate a 40mm wastepipe and 2 15mm triwalls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back