Conduit query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I`m running the wires for a new ring circuit in my utility room.

The walls are then going to be studded, insulated and boarded with 50mm batons

Do i need to put the wires into a conduit or can i just clip them to the wall and have the insulation and boards over it?

Appreciate that if it needs to be rewired in the future then conduit will be the brighter option but there are so many corners it won`t make a difference and i`d just re run it.

If i do need to use conduit then what should i be using for regs.

I`ll be using a competent sparks to connect to the board and to sign it all off afterwards.

Thanks for any replies.

Sponsored Links
No need for conduit unless not protected. As long as there is a RCD in the circuit conduit is not required. The other method where no RCD is used is Ali-tube cable instead of twin and earth. Problem is often you need to buy Ali-tube by the role and it is expensive.

I`ll be using a competent sparks to connect to the board and to sign it all off afterwards.

Thanks for any replies.

You need to get the electrician involved before you start anything as he will guide you and decide what you can and can't do as he will be signing the certificate !

Sponsored Links
Do i need to put the wires into a conduit or can i just clip them to the wall and have the insulation and boards over it?
What installation method do you think that is, and therefore what will be the current carrying capacity of the cables?

And with reference to Part C2 of the Building Regulations, what do you plan to do about the cables running through the insulation, and, indeed, any socket back boxes?

If i do need to use conduit then what should i be using for regs.
Do you think you know enough about the regulations to be complying with P1?

When you applied for Building Regulations approval, what exactly did you tell them about the way you would ensure compliance with P1?

As BAS says, a new circuit is notifiable to LABC and for DIY you will be charged a fee. You'll need to satisfy the Building Inspector about your competence in design, installation and testing. Only the LABC can sign off DIY work, I don't think a sparks is allowed to connect another sparks wiring, let alone DIY.

Things you haven't mentioned, like installation methods, grouping and safe zones, suggest you need a sparks in at the early stages. You could equip yourself with an IEE On-site Guide but even that has a disclaimer that it does not cover design.

Ok, cheers for all your help.

Sparks is coming over later :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back