Confirming Socket is Part of a Ring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I am planning to add a socket to an existing ring circuit i have looked at the wiring and it has two line and two neutral going in to it, the wiring goes straight down in to a concrete floor so i am unable to trace the wires.

Everything would appear to prove that it is part of the main ring, but i wanted to be certain that it isnt two spurs as i have found some strange wiring within the house already.

Thanks Ricky

Sponsored Links
Test the end-to-end resistance of the conductors.

Are you an electrician, or do you need more info?

you will need a multimeter to prove this accurately. fisrtly, isolate the circuit, then:-

put one of the prongs onto 1 live and the other prong onto the other live,
do the same for the neutrals and the cpc's(earth)

you should have a low resistance between these conductors

if not you have no ring main

if the wiring is already dodgy don't touch it, get a sparky to have a look.

Thanks for your reply widdler.
I am a novice:)

Would i be right in thinking that i remove the wires from the MCB Connect the Lines to the oposite Neutrals and then measure the resistance at each socket outlet the reading from the main ring will be very similar and if any of the sockets are spurred will have a higher resistance reading.

Have i read this right?

Thanks Ricky

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply widdler.
I am a novice:)

Would i be right in thinking that i remove the wires from the MCB Connect the Lines to the oposite Neutrals and then measure the resistance at each socket outlet the reading from the main ring will be very similar and if any of the sockets are spurred will have a higher resistance reading.

Have i read this right?

Thanks Ricky

Theoretically yes, but as BAS has just pointed out, you can get a few other possibilities.

If it were me I would isolate the circuit, remove every socket and then test all the individual legs so you can be confident in the exact routing of your circuit. You will gradually workout wether some sockets are spured off also in this method.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back