Conflicting advice on bathroom paint for cladding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am re-doing our bathroom and I now have wood panneling/cladding around the walls up to about 80cm height, and then painted wall with some small areas of exposed plaster skim to the ceiling.

I want to paint the wood cladding in white, and the wall in a colour. The ceiling is already painted white in what seems to be a suitable paint (no probs so far) so I plan to leave this as it is. The cladding has had knotting solution applied, a coat of primer and of undercoat.

Some advice on this forum and elsewhere led me to buy eggshell paint for the cladding

e.g. //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=54697

But elsewhere it suggests not doing so if bathroom has heavy usage.

http://homerenovations.about.com/od/bathrooms/f/BathroomPaint.htm

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_you_use_eggshell_paint_in_a_bathroom

(2 of many example sites)

I have a young toddler and another baby on the way, so expect to need decent moisture and splash resistant paint.

Any advice or explanations as to why there are two contradictory pieces of advice on this subject?

Cheers
TOm

Sponsored Links
Forgot the other part of the question....

Another reason why i'm going for eggshell is that I want to paint the rest of the walls (non-cladded part) a decent colour and the bathroom-specific paints they seem to have in DIY shops are horrid.

So going for an acrylic eggshell paint means I have much broader choice of colour and brand.

But again, some advice seems to be to steer clear of this and go for a gloss or satin. I think gloss would look weird on walls (!) and never used satin before so not sure how this would look.

Eggshell is fine for the cladding and the walls. I have it on the ceiling and walls in my own bathroom that has no extraction, at times there can be water running down the walls around the bath area (past the tiles) and it has been no problem at all. I always advise the use of eggshell in bathrooms and kitchens, i normally use paint and paper library or little green, both are more expensive than your dulux's and crown's but the richness in colour/pigment is very good and for the quality against dulux which isn't that much cheaper, its money well spent.
Eggshell will repel moisture and is washable, some paint manufacturers do harder wearing versions which are scrubbable. Its important to let the paint cure (around 28 days) before doing any wiping or washing.
Satin is just a yuck finish IMO, it can be used in bathrooms but personally i think eggshell is a quality finish which looks much better on the walls.

I happily guarantee eggshell work i do in busy family bathrooms/kitchens.

Just one other note, with a nipper in the house and one on the way avoid oil based coatings, the paints i mentioned are water based.

Just one other note, with a nipper in the house and one on the way avoid oil based coatings, the paints i mentioned are water based.

Many thanks for the advice. Can I just ask why you suggest avoiding oil based coatings, because of the young ones?

Is it specifically to do with the bathroom or just oil-based paint in general? I ask because I also need to do a lot of gloss-work elsewhere around the house.

Sponsored Links
Hi Tom, yep depends on the age of the children, but as your expecting thought it was worth mentioning. The fumes can affect the respiratory system of very young children particularly babies, so its very unhealthy for them, something to do with their respiratory system not being fully developed if i remember right. Go for the johnstones aqua gloss and undercoat, there's loads of info about it on here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back