Conflicting info - central heating controls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have recently moved in. I have been getting Corgi guys in for quotes on installing a new high efficiency regular boiler as the old Myson Apollo Fanfair has decided to die after 16 years. Some say the existing 3 port valve in the airing cupboard where the immersion heater/cylinder is fine, others say it needs updating with an automatic by pass valve, and that I should have some pipe work altering near that and the pump (the cold feed and vent). Others say it's fine up there as it is. Someone's had British Gas in fairly recently as far as I can see as the valve and pump are blue and has their logo on it, and the pipes look like they have been earthed fairly recently mostly where the new looking power shower is, so I would have thought the system has been bought up to date fairly recently, but I wouldn't have a clue other than what I've been told, and that's been conflicting.

The existing 3 port valve is fine, worked ok when we did have heating. It was just a couple of Corgi guys saying it needed updating, and I don't want to have anything done if it really doesn't need doing, but if it's a very good idea, then that's ok. Only 2 rads will be fitted with trvs. Any advise please?

Sponsored Links
The blue 3 port is the Brtitish Gas version of the drayton/acl. If its reasonably new, no reason to change it..nice easy clip on motor head!! If I were fitting a new one I'd fit Honeywell, but still no good reason to change the drayton.

Alfredo

Alfredo said:
The blue 3 port is the Brtitish Gas version of the drayton/acl. If its reasonably new, no reason to change it..nice easy clip on motor head!! If I were fitting a new one I'd fit Honeywell, but still no good reason to change the drayton.

Alfredo

Yes, it's pretty new I'd say. Thanks for the info and your opinion!

Some boilers need an automatic by pass valve (£25) putting in the pipes, but many don't. Not associated with the 3 port. Not a big deal really anyway!

Sponsored Links
Regardless of valve position, one posrt on the valve is always open. Bypass is required to shunt the primary water when everything but the pump shuts down- pumped water can cicrulate through the open port/ bypass valve and the pump is not stressed.

Excellent, thanks for the useful info everyone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back