Getting conflicting advice ! Help !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm getting quotes for some work done - new boiler etc. - but I'm getting conflicting advice from the contractors I've had in so far... I appreciate that some of this may be just differences of opinion, but I'd be interested to hear anyone's views on this:

1) replacement boiler - currently have ancient boiler with old hot water tank. Was thinking of doing simple replacement to a non-combi condensing boiler (ie keep the tank), but I've been told that to be "up to the new regs", all of the heating elements should be upgraded at the same time , ie hot water tank needs to be replaced as well. Other contractor has said existing tank, pump etc are fine and don't need replacement. Maybe its worth replacing anyway but if this is for purposes of "regulations" then would expect consistent story?

2) currently have 22mm pipe from gas meter at front of house to kitchen at back, supplying boiler and 6 burner range stove. One says this needs upgrading to 28mm (and any dog-legs in pipe need straightening as they reduce pressure); other says existing 22mm is fine and wasn't concerned about dog-legs. ?

3) Boiler will be mounted on wall near to stove. Is there a regulation on how close it can be? One says existing stove too close and needs moving; other says it is fine.

Clearly one is quoting for more work than the other but I don't want to go with the cheap option if the more complex one is the right one..

Grateful for any advice

R.

Sponsored Links
It is very advisable to replace the HW cylinder at the time of a new boiler install, preferably with an up to date fast recovery unit.

It is NOT mandatory that you have to have this done. It is mandatory that you have TRV's fitted to all rads except the one in the room with the room stat, and have a programmer that will give totally seperate control of the CH and HW.

As for the gas dilemma, it is impossible to say without knowing what boiler, what hob/cooker and the lengths of pipe and number of elbows in it.

The extra 'dog legs' as you call them can stay but may necessitate the pipe size being increased.

Is it the same engineer who is quoting all the extra work?

I would want to keep the boiler at least a metre away from any heat source, but you would have to go by the boiler manufacturers instructions for siting issues.

Thanks

Yes it is the same one quoting all the extra work, which could mean he is more thorough, or is trying it on...

Sponsored Links
Big concern fitting new boilers to old systems is to get the old system as clean as possible to reduce contamination of the new boiler. the laid back installer may be cheaper & less work involved but may also not have your best intrests as a priority. New cylinder is a bigger asset that what it will cost & if unlucky u may have to change it even if u choose not to. After chemical cleaning & running at over 1bar the old coil sometimes fail then u have an unplanned change to pay for.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back