Conflicting Max Zs in 7671 and OSG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondering why Max Zs stated is different, for example:

In 7671 Max Zs for say a type 40a breaker is 1.2

In OSG it's stated as 0.96

Does anyone know why and which one to use?

Sponsored Links
On site quide is 75% rule of thumb corrected for cable temp rise during fault conditions. BS7671 is 'absolute max' - The actuall max may be calced, or rule of thumb used.

NICEIC charts show an 80% corrected figure.

Although your figures show 80% corrected.........so I am beginning to question my self!

Or, is the rule of thumb there due to testing conditions being at room temp and not operating temp.........Umm getting the grey matter working!

Sponsored Links
The OSG is the 80% value owing to the difference in conductor temperature at the time of testing. The tables in BS7671 are for the cable at its operating temperature i.e. 70ºC and the OSG (and GN3) for the cables listed at 10ºC.
Afaik 80% comes from the simplified coefficent of copper (0.004) multiplied by the temperature change (60ºC) + 1 = 1.24. For a decrease of 60ºC the 70ºC figure is divided by 1.24. The reciprocal of 1.24 is roughly 0.8 which is where I believe the 80% figure comes from.
There is some more info in the back of GN3.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back