Confused about heating??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Main Combi 24 boiler which is regularly serviced and as far as I am aware if working ok. My system has no leaks that I am aware of but I have encountered a situation that is baffling me??
The boiler is on timed and comes on twice a day wherbey the pressure is up where it should be between 1.5 - 2 bar. However, when the boiler clicks off and cools down the needle drops to zero?? Then when it clicks back on it works and goes up to the required pressure. Its almost like it is losing pressure but then re-pressurises itself when it comes back on?? Is this possible??

Sponsored Links
Is that something that would show up on a service as I'm due one soon or do I need to call the engineer?

some do some don't, i personally don't check unless the customer tells me there is a problem as the boiler needs draining to check the EV pressure

Sponsored Links
Would the problem with the expansion vessel affect my hot water flow at all? It's nowhere near a quick as the cold water flow?

Hot water flow is a seperate problem, not related to the expansion vessel. May be result of a limescale build up, depending on your water type.

Would the problem with the expansion vessel affect my hot water flow at all? It's nowhere near a quick as the cold water flow?

If the hot flow was same as cold, water wouldn't get hot enough as it would pass through boiler too quickly to heat up.combi boilers usually only give you approx 35'c temp increase (from cold temp at tap to hot temp at tap). At a specific flow rate, usually around 11 litres a minute, but all boilers different.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back