Confused about single channel controller

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have just moved into a 70's built house that has a gas back boiler, expansion tank in loft, 3 way valve in airing cupboard beside hw tank. Controller and pump downstairs behind boiler.
The previous owners told me the controller went wrong a couple weeks before exchange and had new one fitted.

2 weeks after moving in i realised immersion was switched on, I switched it off but water then only got warm not hot. When I checked controller to make sure water on I found it was only single channel.
Today i put the valve in manual position and have hot water now.

However, my concern, is that surely come summer the only way I will get hw is to have heating on? I'm wondering if single channel controller a mistake or if there's a way around this I'm unaware of ( never had this type system before).

Before I go off to buy a controller where I can switch between hw&/or ch I wondered if anyone can advise?
Thanks in advance 😄

Sponsored Links
What make and model is the controller?

If your hw was only getting warm, is there a stat on hw cylinder? If yes, what is it set to?

Controller is horstmann c11.

Yes hw tank has stat and had already turned it right up before putting valve to manual with no success.

some pics would be useful
normally you would expect a two channel programmer on a y.plan
but then normally you would open the closed central heating port by putting the valve in manual
yours seems to be the other way round

Matt

Sponsored Links
Well looks as though I was wrong, doesn't look like 3 way valve (was guessing valve was, but due to leg in cast couldn't crawl in cupboard to see so had sent someone else in)!

Will attemp to attach photo

Thanks[/img]

Don't know how to attach photos here, but have uploaded to my profile
Thanks

1 way valve, heating always on, hot water when the valve is open..

unless there is another valve somewhere.

Possibly the original owner bodged the wireing so when hot water only was called for all radiator valves got turned off , get someone in to sort it out.

Likely that you have s plan and the original owners replaced the programmer with the wrong one (single channel instead of twin),found that it didn't work so just turned on the immersion heater to give hot water

it may be that you just req a twin channel slotted on the back plate with no wiring req
assuming the programmer is a standard type, loosen off the 2 screws on the bottom, remove the programmer and post a pic of the backplate showing the wiring to the terminals

Matt

The C11 is a programmable thermostat, which is why it's single channel. You will need a separate single channel timer for the hot water.

The valve in your pic is a two port (in and out). Normally there would be two of these in a system - one for the heating, the other for hot water. But if you have gravity (un-pumped) hot water circulation, then you would only have one valve, in the HW circuit.

Can you find another valve?

Can you find the other end of the cable from the valve in the pic?

I can only see one valve. The cable from it goes to a joint box, then connects with 2 other cables, 1 for tank stat and 1 for immersion switch. I have uploaded photo.

I also looked understairs where controller is and there appears to be what I think is a pump ( myson compact). Again photo uploaded.

Thanks for help so far, I'm very confused!
On a positive note, since switching valve yesterday my water is now very hot again, no more lukewarm baths!

The C11 is a programmable thermostat, which is why it's single channel.

I hope it's not, as it's fitted in the airing cupboard in photo. Unless there's more than one model of Horst. C11, it's defo a single channel programmer.

I think you need an engineer recommended by friends, neighbours, colleagues or family to check your system, especially the motorised valve. Only then can you be certain what you have and make sure it's operating correctly.

The C11 is a programmable thermostat, which is why it's single channel.

I hope it's not, as it's fitted in the airing cupboard in photo. Unless there's more than one model of Horst. C11, it's defo a single channel programmer.

Agreed, and so back to

it may be that you just req a twin channel slotted on the back plate with no wiring req

undo the 2 screws on the bottom (no need to take them fully out),tilt the programmer upward to remove it then post a pic of the backplate showing the wiring to the terminals

Matt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back