Hive multizone with 2 dual channel receivers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I ordered directly from Hive home uk, and I stated that I had a dual zone house with a single hot water tank.

But they sent me 2 dual channel receivers rather than a dual and a single. The question is : can i install one of the receivers as single channel (heating only). Will it affect the controller or app?

Sponsored Links
What you have doesn't sound good to me. I would expect:

Hive 1 Dual Channel - Controls heating Zone 1 and the Hot water
Hive 2 Single Channel - Controls heating Zone 2

You could use two dual channel Hive's and it would work, but the hot water control on the second Hive won't be doing anything. Personally I see that as a fudge/bodge and wouldn't be happy with it.

I doubt it’ll affect the app, but haven’t ever used Hive. Contact them, they may send you the correct one out and let you flog, err, I mean “keep” the other.

I imagine it's me being thick but the website and its explaination of the hive system is terrible.

Is the hive system a funky thermostat which has been morphed into a heating control system?

Why does each stat need to be so complicated and hard wired to a receiver.?

Does the hub control the hw as well as channels, or, is the hw considered a "channel" ?

Looks clumsy. No wonder you got the wrong stuff (or did you?)

Sponsored Links
Hi,
I ordered directly from Hive home uk, and I stated that I had a dual zone house with a single hot water tank.

But they sent me 2 dual channel receivers rather than a dual and a single. The question is : can i install one of the receivers as single channel (heating only). Will it affect the controller or app?
Yeah I'm not happy with a bodge either. But I'm loath to wait another 2 weeks for delivery.

I imagine it's me being thick but the website and its explaination of the hive system is terrible.

Is the hive system a funky thermostat which has been morphed into a heating control system?

Why does each stat need to be so complicated and hard wired to a receiver.?

Does the hub control the hw as well as channels, or, is the hw considered a "channel" ?

Looks clumsy. No wonder you got the wrong stuff (or did you?)
Yeah defo the wrong stuff.

You can get a three channel Wiser thermostat, but don't thing Hive do them.

Personally can't see the point in grouping the zones into two groups. Most systems it is one or the other.

Idea of zones is to allow areas to be controlled independently, Hive allows this using their TRV heads as long as the room with the wall thermostat does not exceed 22°C, so better if not in living room, but in hall, and want a TRV in the same room to ensure 22°C is not exceeded.

Fitting Hive on upper floors can also result in exceeding the 22°C so it would be better to combine the groups of zones and use one thermostat.

The only difference between the single channel and dual channel receiver is that the single channel allows volt free / low voltage switching of heating for combi boilers. As you have zone valves, you'll need 230V switching of each valve anyway, so it makes little difference.

If you wanted, you could wire both receivers to control your HW zone valve - this would allow you to use the boost functionality from either thermostat, whilst the timed functionality is controlled from one only.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back