confused by emergency fitting with integral photocell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a maintained emergency fitting with built in photocell. The circuit has a key switch which can override the circuit leaving it permenantly on. As it stands I have a permenant live to charge the fitting, however. The problem is once i put my hand over the photocell to simulate darkness it lights as it should but it is not switching back off. I have waited for up to 20 minutes but it still remains on.
The wiring is simply looped, the connections within the fitting are perm live and switched live. There is also a perm and switched live running to the photocell.
I am alittle confused on this so any help would be appreciated.
On a seperate matter oldish cable run in conduit feeding new lights are tripping the breaker, but bizzarely only after a few minutes. Do you think its a insulation issue or overload, its a 6amp. Any help would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
I have a maintained emergency fitting with built in photocell. The circuit has a key switch which can override the circuit leaving it permenantly on. As it stands I have a permenant live to charge the fitting, however. The problem is once i put my hand over the photocell to simulate darkness it lights as it should but it is not switching back off. I have waited for up to 20 minutes but it still remains on.
The wiring is simply looped, the connections within the fitting are perm live and switched live. There is also a perm and switched live running to the photocell.

Have you got another one that does work to try in its place? It could be faulty.

On a seperate matter oldish cable run in conduit feeding new lights are tripping the breaker, but bizzarely only after a few minutes. Do you think its a insulation issue or overload, its a 6amp. Any help would be appreciated

It could be fault due to insulation the only way to find out is to do an Insulation test. What lamps are you using? What is their load? Also what size cable? Could need rewiring using 1.5mm.

perhaps it has circuitry to time a three hour period or until the batteries deplete, have you left it on that long?

Sponsored Links
Thanks fellas. Emergency light fitting problem has been rsolved and MCB is rarely tripping out which is tolerable. Your right I need to do an insulation test but its an ancient 3 phase DB with no neutral circuit identification. I am not permitted to flash out the neutrals so I suppose theres not a lot else I can do other than IR the whole neutral bar. Another quick question is 15 amp fuse wire generally acceptable for a lighting circuit run with 1.5mm?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back