Confused by loss of water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm no expert in central heating so could do with a little advice, I have recently removed a radiator and drained the system and refilled with water without inhibitor for now, I will add later as I will have to drain the system again.
I can bleed the system successfully and the pressure is at about 2.5 bar, but As soon as I run the heating system I am getting water venting by what I guess is a relief valve, it's venting to a pipe that goes outside the house,, the relief alve the other side of the wall seems to be spring loaded with no adjustment, so is it doing its job, is it faulty,? Why is it venting the system, in the morning the system is only at .5 bar if that

Sponsored Links
2.5 bar is too high but it sounds like your expansion vessel has lost it's charge pressure or failed. Judging by your description you know nothing about boilers so I'd get a professional in to look at it.

Hi, I have looked outside the prv is constantly dripping, and the path is soaked, pressure is at 1 bar and its a constant drip, what I ou think, faulty prv

Alsoit's dripping with he heating off as well as on

Sealed system PRVs can't be adjusted, it could be dangerous to be able to do so. +1 on swbjackson's post. Once these valves lift, it is quite common for them not to seat properly again, causing system pressure loss.

Sponsored Links
Cheers, so what's the answer? No valve, if so time for a plumber

Time for a heating engineer is the answer. Get the PRV replaced, check expansion vessel charge too, whilst the boiler is drained. Any decent RGI will know straight away what to check as soon as you tell them the symptoms.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back