Another Pressure Loss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last week I noticed air in the top radiator - about 10 inches from the top, so I released the vent valve and repressurised. At that time there had been a little reduction in the system's pressure. A couple of days ago the pressure guage on the Vailent 630 Eco Tec had dropped to zero, so I repressured the system.

Today it had dropped to zero again. I have now pumped up the pressure vessle (was 0.58 bar, now 1.4 bar) and repressurised the system. There is not a significant loss of water through the pressure relief valve.

Accepting that I will need to call in a plumber, what sort of problem does this suggest?

Sponsored Links
Is water coming out the pressure relief pipework or not ??
Does the pressure rise to around 3 bar when c/ heating has been running for an hour or more ?

You vessel pressure is double the pressure it needs to be (assuming you're in a normal house) and that will make the leakage appear to be far worse.
Any leak on the safety valve is significant.
Continual trapped air in a rad often indicates a pipework leak.

Is water coming out the pressure relief pipework or not ??
Does the pressure rise to around 3 bar when c/ heating has been running for an hour or more ?

Difficult to say as the pot also gets rain water at times. The level hasn't risen so I would say no. The pressure doesn't rise much in normal service. Having repressirised this morning the pressure has dropped to zero again, so I have called for the cavalry!

You vessel pressure is double the pressure it needs to be (assuming you're in a normal house) and that will make the leakage appear to be far worse.
Any leak on the safety valve is significant.
Continual trapped air in a rad often indicates a pipework leak.

Thanks, I've reduced the pressure. Yes, air has returned to the top radiator

Sponsored Links
Take pressure to approx 2.8 bar, and this may help show a leak on the pipework above/below that radiator with trapped air.

Defective Drayton valve. The soaked carpet hadn't reached in front of the sofa!

System now working but the filling loop will need replacing as the taps are dripping. Such is life!

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back