confused by non-functioning BT master socket

I'd suggest getting a filtered faceplate. These replace the removable lower section and filter the phone line and broadband at the master socket.

Oh yes, what type of "alarm" is it ?
If it's a "dial up" type then it shouldn't cause any interference if it's filtered properly. If it's something like Redcare then that used to have problems co-existing with other services (and they'd refuse to provision Redcare and ADSL together) - dunno what the current status is as I've not been involved for a long time.

Sponsored Links
I assume you mean using two microfilters cajar, but how exactly do I connect them please?

Don't know what type of alarm it is - the community alarm people collected it a couple of days ago since it wasn't working, with the intention of bringing it back once I get the telephone sorted out. Sod's law. It was a neat little box which plugged into the phone socket and had an output to the telephone itself to which we attached a single microfilter for the broadband. When they tested it I don't remember hearing any dial-up noises, but I don't see how else it could have connected to it's base.

It was a neat little box which plugged into the phone socket and had an output to the telephone itself to which we attached a single microfilter for the broadband. When they tested it I don't remember hearing any dial-up noises, but I don't see how else it could have connected to it's base.
There's your problem, you've connected it UPSTREAM of the filter - therefore it's connected to the unfiltered line and can interfere with the broadband. There should be NOTHING (except the broadband modem*) that isn't downstream of a filter.

So plug the filter into the phone socket, and plug the alarm into the filter. Or replace the lower part of the faceplate with a filtered faceplate and then it looks neater.

* Some filters don't actually high-pass filter the modem socket - so it's connected directly to the phone line. That's fine, it shouldn't interfere with normal phone operations.

Basically what simon said, you had your filters in wrong - the alarm itself needs to be plugged into the filter not the other way round.

For double filtering, you plug one filter into another then plug your modem (rj11) into the filter nearest the phone socket and your phone into the pots/pstn out of the second filter. Can sometimes help.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys.

All I have to do now is get the alarm brought back and try that. Seems so obvious now you come to mention it!

One thing which puzzles me still though is that the phone line sounded perfect the way I had it, but I suppose in that scenario the phone was being filtered but the broadband wasn't. I always thought the filter was there for the benefit of the phone, not the broadband.

phone was being filtered but the alarm wasn't. probably leaking into the broadband's frequency spectrum

OK. I'll request the alarm be brought back and try this. I'll post back with the results..

Thanks again.

Ok - it's sorted! Thanks guys.

The final setup is as follows.

Phone socket doubler in the working socket.

Filter in one side with the alarm plugged into it. Telephone plugged into the output from the alarm.

Extension lead plugged into the other side of the socket doubler. Filter in the far end of the extension lead and router plugged into the filter (upstairs).

Now getting full broadband speed and the phone and alarm are working.

It's not the tidiest solution (cables everywhere) but it works, and that's the main priority. In due course I'll probably tidy it up and use a pair of home plugs to get the broadband around the house. Then the router can move downstairs next to the alarm and the phone, and I can dispense with the extension cable.

Thanks again everyone. Much appreciated - that £130 is better off in my pocket than BT's.

Extension lead plugged into the other side of the socket doubler. Filter in the far end of the extension lead and router plugged into the filter (upstairs).
Far from ideal - but to get you working it's better than you had.

In due course I'll probably tidy it up and use a pair of home plugs to get the broadband around the house. Then the router can move downstairs next to the alarm and the phone, and I can dispense with the extension cable.
Please stay clear of HomePlugs unless it's really really unavoidable.
http://www.ban-plt.org.uk

Ideally you need to run a cable. Two common ways to do it :

1) Extend the phone line
Fit a filtered face plate - but make sure it's the type that has terminals for the unfiltered line (usually labelled A&B). You can use standard phone cable (the solid, twisted pair type - specifically CW1308 spec) to wire an extension socket - use one pair for the unfiltered line, and another pair (or pair and a half) to extend the filtered line (2&5, or 2,3,&5 to include the ringer line) for extension phones.

2) Extend the network. Plug your router directly into the unfiltered socket (or the "modem" socket of the filter), and runa network cable from there to wherever you need it.

OK. Homeplugs are out. I was vaguely aware that they sometimes cause problems, but I didn't realise they were actually being sold in disregard of the regulations. I don't really like the idea of the three phase issue potentially opening up my data to two of my neighbours either, although that's very unlikely.

I'm not about to learn telephone wiring techniques though, and ethernet is too thick to be acceptable in the circumstances, so I'll probably stick with what I've got. The extension cable is easier to route/hide and the tangles at each end are largely out of sight and out of mind anyway.

Thanks again Simon - and everyone who helped.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back