Confused regarding foundations for garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Im having my fully integral garage converted into a habitable room, im having it done to building regulations. The garage door has a concrete pad just in front of it, i asked building control what depth the foundations need to be for the front wall and window and they said ideally 900mm deep.

They then said that with it being an integral garage there is likely to be foundations already there, and then go on to say that the builder can just go from the top of that.

Im really confused what any of this means? Are they suggesting my foundations might already be 900mm deep and therefore OK to build off? Or are they saying as long as there is a foundation we can just build on top?

Also when they say they need to see the foundations 'exposed' what do they mean? Do they mean digging a hole that deep to see how far they go? Would this be labour intensive?

Sponsored Links
If there’s already a foundation, and it gets exposed to show its thickness and width, which is a bit of digging for say an hour or so, and they OK it, then you can build off it.

Sometimes garages don't have a foundation across the doorway, but that is less likely in an integrated garage.

Yes dig a trial pit to see what is there. If the foundation is there across the doorway and is the same as elsewhere (two trial puts needed) then you are ok to build up off it.

Yes digging a hole takes some labour but it's not that bad.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back