Confused

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.This is my first post and I hope that I can get a greater understanding of my problems.I live in a new build of 4 years old.Earlier this year I noticed raised tiles especially along the valley.I was fortunate enough to get a RICS to make an inspection and report and was amazed at the number of things he picked up.This has gone to warranty who have refused 25 and agreed to have 2 lots of repairs carried out.One is to rebuild the valley because they have infilled with small pieces and not cut to BS and manufacturers requirements.This I understand although as yet do not understand the process.
Although the RICS did not enter the loft because of access,he inspected from the hatch area and has said that there were no counterbattens.
If there are no counter battens in one area would I be right in assuming they must be missing throughout the roof?The tile used is a fire cement slate with a breathable sark.
Yesterday I had a roofer around who said as it is a cold roof,that is ventilated and a breathable sark then counter battens are not required.Who is right?
The second area to be addressed is the loft space and on the advice of the RICS,I employed a structural engineer,who found problems with poorly cut wood,incorrectly installed bracing,no lateral restraint in one gable wall and a gap between the end truss and the wall.So the question on this is which trade is best suited to sort out the mistakes.Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Sponsored Links
Others are best placed to advise who you should employ/instruct. However I'd be interested to know (if you're happy to share) what sort of things they refused to accept as warranty issues i.e. the 25 things?

Sure.This was only from ground level,so what has been refused I will need to get investigated.Hip and ridge tiles not mitred together.It appears to be a piece of ‘fabric’ ore the top of the hip tile.Slipped tiles.Tiles not spaced correctly.It has been confirmed by Marley that there should be no more than 5mm gap.Some were measured at 9mm.Tail rivets have been hammered sideways and not downward.Valley finishes short of the gutter.Could not find evidence of soakers on wall abutment.Mono roof above kitchen has vents in at eaves but no cross ventilation.Proprietry trims missing.External porch to front door is an absolute mess and was one of the initial reasons for getting a check carried out.We lost a tile from the top of the porch against the wall and overlapped by the lead.The investigation has shown that the top row has been stuck on.Presumably the rain has got to them as the lead is screwed into the render.Just a start but just shows that trusting a developer to have followed regulations British standards and manufacturers requirements was a figment of my imagination.

No you don't need counter battens, and it would be a joiner who knows how to construct trussed roofs.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice.My concern about counter battens is that the slate is regarded as tight fitting so does not let let enough ventilation into the void between the underside of the slate and the breathable sarking,risking condensation.Or is my understanding of double lapped tiles wrong?

How could he say there was no counter batten from the loft hatch?

Lack of counter batten is not an issue provided the underlay is draped with a slight sag between rafters.

If the roof was boarded then it's a different matter.
I don't quite see why they felt the need to space 9mm.. rivets bent side ways can easily be rotated
How about some pictures

7A88AA6E-9097-4EF0-BF69-9966324112F7.jpeg EA0328B8-D3EE-4442-8C7E-682B2DCECF2D.jpeg B2073AB7-C144-4C30-A3E7-89764523F301.jpeg 0A65E67B-92CB-4E82-9B8D-9D7A5F720836.jpeg

Well at least they've admitted that slithers at the valley are wrong- they're also wrong anywhere else on the roof (minimum slate width should be 300mm, you use doubles where the roof meets parapets or whatever).
That hip to ridge is a crappy bodge.
Lead screwed into the render? Really? Should be chased into the masonry.
Soakers- carefully lift the cover flashing up and have a look if you can without it falling off the screws
Rivets- meh. At least they've used them

Most of the warranty response was about,as there is no water ingress,there is no claim but labelling them as a problem concerning workmanship or specifications.The counter battens is a question that I have passed back to them,as they made out in their reply that whilst they agreed with the RICS about them,they are only a ‘recommendation’ of the manufacturer.I have since had an email from Marley who have said that to use the Rivendale slate (tight fitting) the area between slate and breathable barrier,must be counter battened,regardless of ventilation in the loft and is a requirement in bs5250 control of condensation.
They of course will not comment on workmanship but also believe that the hip tile is actually ridge tiles.
Another area is the mono roof to the kitchen,as it is warm roof but has ventilation at the bottom but not at the top.
Of course another concern is what have they done under the hip?
So much for buying new!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back