Confusion with tap fittings

Sponsored Links
Yes. The tap is to be used on a metal sink.

Ok, for what it's worth I'd go with o ring on top of the sink, white spacer below, followed by metal horseshoe, all screwed up nice and tight.

The larger rubber gasket isn't really required in the above set up, it is only needed when the spacer is omitted and the metal horseshoe would then make direct contact with the sink.

Ok, why use the rubber gasket on the metal horseshoe but not on the plastic white load spreader.

Sponsored Links
Ok, for what it's worth I'd go with o ring on top of the sink, white spacer below, followed by metal horseshoe, all screwed up nice and tight.

The larger rubber gasket isn't really required in the above set up, it is only needed when the spacer is omitted and the metal horseshoe would then make direct contact with the sink.
Ah, now that would make sense. Thank you for your clear response.

Just one observation though... the sink waste has a thin rubber seal on the upper surface plus a thicker seal on the underside ie two. I am thinking, why is it necessary to have two on the waste but for the tap, just the one will suffice? I guess, more likelihood of water ingress at a waste than around the tap fixing?

Just one observation though...

I wouldn't try to put too much scientific reasoning behind this. Again, for what it's worth (I only say that because these things can be done differently), I would say the normally thick washer below the sink for the waste is the important one, but for the tap, the one on top is most important. The waste normally has a flimsier thin one for above the sink but I have omitted these on occasion for being too thick and prominent.

The waste also has water running through it therefore above and below the sink are exposed, if you see what I mean.

df2dbde4-75a8-4411-8417-d29dd87b2d48-jpeg.244907

The white plastic part in the picture above is upside down.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back