What's this junk..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok, so it's my first time ever fitting a slotted waste for a sink with an overflow. I get it out of the box and admire...

There's the metal threaded bit (threaded right the way up to the underside of the head), and on it (in this order) a slim rubber gasket, a plastic ring, a fatter rubber gasket that is flat on one side, and a brass nut

Looking at it, there's no way that plastic washer would achieve a good seal against the basin, so I figure it goes between the brass nut and the flat side of the fatter gasket. Seems the slim gasket goes under the head/inside the sink bowl

But even then I really can't see how this is supposed to become watertight:
The metal head of the threaded bit touches the sink porcelain as though the slim gasket isn't thick enough. Also nothing will keep water from running down the overflow, through the threads and out, and even if I sealed the threads up with PTFE, I'm sure it would escape out of the interface between plastic washer and brass nut

The other slotted waste I have might be a bit better, as it has no plastic washer, just a plastic nut that presumably could be thread sealed with PTFE, and compress the bigger gasket against the sink underside enough to get a seal. Appreciate that the pressure is much lower in this application but it just seems so ill thought out. Why not have an unthreaded section of waste, a nice triangular gasket, some washers to hide the unthreaded section and a nut to push it all in(like a standard compression waste connector)

Am I missing something?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I don't use black rubber washer at all, only the polywasher, PTFE and plumber putty, that all, been doing that for years.

Daniel.

Sponsored Links
If not using a basin mate, which are great, then my process there would be - Waste > thin smear of silicone on underside of lip > thin rubber washer > thin smear of silicone > insert into basin > bead of silicone on rubber washer (round side to basin) > plastic washer > nut > tighten > wipe clean.

Silicone bead under lip of waste, pop it in the hole, silicone the gap between the threaded part of the waste and the actual hole in basin, nip up backnut, no washers required this way and works everytime.

Silicone bead under lip of waste, pop it in the hole, silicone the gap between the threaded part of the waste and the actual hole in basin, nip up backnut, no washers required this way and works everytime.

That's the best way.

silicone breaks down eventually, surprised anyone fecks about with it when there is a nice clean easy solution, suppose everyone to their own.

Would like to add, i use decent silicone (not from the pound shop) and have never had a call back (only been using it for 32 yrs tho ;)).

My plumbing supplier doesn't stock those. (I think)
In fact out of 3 dedicated plumbing suppliers none of them stock end feed solder fittings. Unless you order them specially.
But a local hardware store does stock end feed solder.
The guy at the counter asked me " why would you use end feed?" A useless piece of information but I just thought I'd share it.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back