connect both ends of my armoured cable (shed)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got a quote from an electrician he is quoting as above. I have already run 6mm2 armoured cable from the cu under my stairs to my (permanent) shed /workshop. + 1 light and 1 socket.

I even have the correct siemens breakers ready, and mk garage cu already purchased. I simply have not connected anything as after reading threads on here I decided to get an expert to connect things up properly.

but to me that price is having a laugh. So, is it reasonable and I'm out of touch? Or is it too dear. To me that sounds like a days wage for an hour (2 max) job?

Sponsored Links
The job is probably more like 4 hours, once testing has taken place.

Have you got quotes from others? He may just not want the work. Where in london are you? £350 for half a days work may be the norm in some areas...

Is he JUST connecting up the ends of the armoured cable, or is other work included?

Does he have to drill any holes through the walls?

Can he connect the gland kits directly to the accessories, or does he have to do this via an adaptable box?

Is he happy with the stuff you have provided?

Send pictures if you like.

Is he JUST connecting up the ends of the armoured cable, or is other work included?
a bit

Does he have to drill any holes through the walls?
no

Can he connect the gland kits directly to the accessories, or does he have to do this via an adaptable box?
might need die cast box to make it easier I guess

Is he happy with the stuff you have provided?
yes he was fine with it

Send pictures if you like.

hi since I'm not doing anything better I took some pics! The black cable coming up out the floor & laying across the top of the wooden board is the armoured cable. The black thing on the wooden board is an old unused doorbell.

IMGP9518.jpg

IMGP9519.jpg

IMGP9521.jpg

spare breakers

IMGP9522.jpg

In the shed. Boards can be removed if necessary:

IMGP9526.jpg

IMGP9527.jpg

rcd etc:

IMGP9525.jpg

NW london, no urgency re:time etc. I think I've supplied most parts.

Sponsored Links
You/he will need about another metre of armoured cable inside the shed.
Why is it so short. Better to be able to gland it into an adaptable metal box and feed the SWA cores straight into the CU without any joins.

You/he will need about another metre of armoured cable inside the shed.
Why is it so short. Better to be able to gland it into an adaptable metal box and feed the SWA cores straight into the CU without any joins.
there's plenty looped on the outside, just haven't dragged it into the shed :)

No electrician likes taking over a job. I have dug the trench ready is OK so is don't worry about plaster I will make good. But electricians can lose their scheme membership if they say they have done work which they have not.

SWA gland into plastic yes you can but it can cause problems most want to gland into metal.

So if it was me I would give high quote as don't want the work. Specially from some one likely to post pictures of everything on internet showing what I have or have not done.

Second is transport. Where one can on the way back from another job drop in and do some work then it costs just the time on site. However often that's not the case. So in an 8 hour day one may only get two jobs a morning one and an afternoon one so even if just 1/2 hour not uncommon to have two rates Gratis for very little job likely to give more work. 4 hour slots for rest so minimum charge is 4 hours.

Areas will alter that idea. My son rarely got two jobs within 1/2 hour of each other. Likely already spent 1/2 hour or more to give you quote.

With the LABC charge at £200 it will cost you £150 to get him to do the work.

Why play games? Why not just be honest and say " I don't want the work?", and explain why?
I don't see it as playing games. Is it not just a way to make the income from what might be an un-welcome job more than enough to compensate for the in-convenience ?.

I have had some very lucrative jobs from time to time when it would seem no one wants the do the work. If one has the ability to do the work one does not say no but give a figure which makes the hassle worth while.

If electricians just refused then we would still get complaints that we can't find anyone to do the work.

When I worked for a contractor who didn't want the work, they simply calculated a fair price and doubled it. As many others did the same, sometimes they still ended up having their tender accepted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back