Connect old school speakers to Alexa

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have an old stereo system in my workplace which has speakers with bare wire connections into the back of it. The speakers are in the corners of the ceiling. Would it be possible to connect these speakers, via an adaptor to the 3.5mm output on my echo dot & do away with the old stereo system?

Sponsored Links
Okay. What if I left it as it is, could I connect it to the aux input on the stereo?
Painting with a very broad brush, loudspeakers need at least a couple of Volts and maybe about 0.1A of current to make enough noise that you hear them from 10ft away. The Line out on an Echo provides maybe 1V and no appreciable current. Get those speakers up close - within arm's reach - and you may hear something like a faint scratching.

You definitely need the amp from the old stereo.

Yes, hook up line out to Aux in . The old stereo has line inputs designed to handle the level coming from the Echo.

Sponsored Links
Okay thanks. Its basically because its an old DAB but doesnt have much stations on it. Was just to use alexa for playing the radio.

Not too sure. Its a fairly old system. Just thought I could rig up an alexa through it to act as a go between

Might be worthwhile in checking if there is a USB port. If not, then at least you know that it cannot receive firmware updates.

Okay so if it does have USB then how do I go about updating it?

It isn't a given that you will be able to.

Post the make/model number.

The first UK DAB+ stations started broadcasting in 2016. A radio made around that time may be upgradable.

AFAIK you can also put a smart switch on the stereo system or amplifers power lead to have control over turning it on/off if it's not smart.

AFAIK you can also put a smart switch on the stereo system or amplifers power lead to have control over turning it on/off if it's not smart.
Reading between the lines I think this might be more about just getting access to some radio stations rather than trying to apply Alexa skills to something that really isn't up to it.

No it just cant get newer stations because its DAB not DAB+
The Echo Dot accesses the same range of Internet radio stations as you can get via a laptop or smart phone. It's possible then to check quite easily if the stations you want to listen to have broadcasting rights for the net. (Not all UK terrestrial radio stations have this.) I mention it because if you take the time to rig this up then find that the station you really want isn't there you'll be a bit disappointed.

On the plus side, internet radio offers massive choice, and the sound quality is better than DAB+ too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back