Connect our house to Sewage mains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Attempting to connect our house to the local Sewage treatment plant.

I have a map and some details it looks like a bit of a run. Being out of work due to this epidemic i can't afford to pay contractors maybe a consultant as such im just looking for help on the feasibility of doing this myself, i can operate diggers dig footings connect pipes but im zero on working experience to install to council approved standards for Sewage.

Im guessing so far i'd need

Written consent from farmer to use land
Some sort of regulatory standard for all pipework and install (maybe this is where i must used an approved installer)
Agree point to point install route and end points for my local waterboard connect to.

Any advice most appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I'm sure you'll need to install to Building Regs, and as such you'll need to either submit plans to Building Regs Inspector, for approval, or start on a Builders Notice.
But as you are not experienced, starting on a Builders Notice will be fraught with problems, and probably further expense.

You'll also have to consult the 'operator' of the sewage plant for their approval, and if appropriate (which I'm sure it will be) relevant ongoing charges.

So as you suspect, your first point of contacts must be farmer, sewage plant owner, and building regs inspector.
Only when you have written approval from all parties, can you make a start. You can certainly do the major part of the work, as long as it meets Building Regs standards.

It sounds like a legal minefield too - if/when you ever sell your buyers conveyor will want to see that the access to sewage outflow is secure for their buyer, with associated documentation.

How far away is the plant? Is it 'downhill'?

Its downhill not sure of distance say 300metres going to pace it shortly.
Yes legal side sounds fun. Checking to see what entitlement we have to connect ie see if any grant type affair is available here. I see there are some around the country

Sponsored Links
As long as drains are laid to Building Regs, i.e. have correct fall, are to approved designs, then I doubt the Water Co will have an issue. Only proviso is likely to be to be one of their Approved Contractors must make the connection to their sewer.

Not sure which area you're in, but this is Anglian Water's information on sewer connections. https://www.anglianwater.co.uk/developers/drainage-services/connect-to-sewer-network/

Is there any current pipework connected to the plant that is closer to your house?

Should also have said, not only will you need consent from the Farmer to cross his land, this Wayleave must also be written into your Property deeds, to retain permission and allow any future access as required for repair or maintenance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back