Shared Drains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We share a non-public drain with a couple of neighbours. It takes the outflow from our electric sewage treatment plant, our neighbour's surface water and another house's septic tank. The drain was put in many years ago by the then landowner and flows under a farmer's field to a local river. Another neighbour has just built a new house and, in the absence of any easy alternative, now wants to tap into our shared drain for their sewage treatment plant (only). They have offered to put in a new inspection pit and say there should be no problem with capacity as the drain used to service a couple of other houses. I know that having more people sharing will help spread the cost if something goes wrong downstream but I'm concerned that disturbing the drain might itself precipitate a problem. Should I agree? Do we need to get a legal maintenance agreement or will regulations apply anyway? Is there anything else I should consider??

Sponsored Links
It might be worth clarifying the original deeds/document relating to ownership/repairs of the drain. But in any instance I would recomend they sign a legally drawn up document laying down their rights and thier responsibilites in the event of a future problem.

Providing the work is done by a reputable company/person there shouldn't be any real problems with tapping in - indeed it might even do you a favour if future prolems arise. However it is also possible that when carrying out their work they uncover a hitherto unknown problem with the drains.

Eitherway, get it drawn up there can be no confusion or arguements in the future then.
Woody

rustycessna said:
We share a non-public drain with a couple of neighbours. It takes the outflow from our electric sewage treatment plant, our neighbour's surface water and another house's septic tank. I hope theirs is treated too :eek: or you`ll have the environment agency on your collective back :cry: You could be opening a can of worms. or insufficiently treated bacteria

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back