Sewerage Connections

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Afternoon

I was wondering if i could ask for some advice/knowledge on soil pipe/sewerage please.

We have just (a week ago) submitted some plans to our local authority to have an extension built. Double side and rear (to a point then going to single on the "attached side").

We would like to:

1. Relocate upstairs bathroom (into extension)

2. Move Kitchen (into current dining room)

3. Add downstairs toilet & shower room

4. Add downstairs utility room.

As this is will be our forever home we would like to do everything 100% and not just as cheap as possible so I was after some advice about the current "waste".

Please see rear of house photo showing sewage, kitchen waste and rainwater pipes (looks like into main drain).

What I propose is that outside the current patio doors (out of shot of photo) will be a new waste connection for the kitchen sink & dishwasher.

Use existing soil stack in relocation of upstairs toilet (this will terminate in the loft)

Use current kitchen waste area and add a new soil stack connection for new toilet downstairs straight into the sewer.

It looks like all of my rainwater goes into the main drain at the moment - with the extension its probably better to dig a soak-away and reroute this properly as the roofline with inevitably change (no issues there).

From what I can see our drain goes left and then towards the front of our house (where a manhole is). Our neighbour says that we don't have a manhole out back - but he does, in his garden.

Can we simply dig down to the sewer pipe and add new waste connections - subject to BC approval? I ask as my husband seems to think its "not that simple".

I will of course be going through all of the proper channels, buildings control etc. Im just asking because we would like to discuss the plans with some builders and get some initial prices so that we can work out ££.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Rear View.jpg
    Rear View.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 133
Sponsored Links
Basically speaking it is that simple. If you are changing around and adding new things then you would absoultely want and need at least one new manhole out there.

There are some technicalities to adhere to but from your description these will purely affect the specifics of how and the types of chambers that are added. Assuming its all outside of the foot print of the extension then you should be fine.

Consider having a sub stack in your new kitchen if your moving it as its a lot neater and cleaner than taking wastes into an open gulley. Although if its a concrete floor the pipes out the wall may be easier.

If you want a definate answer if its feasible you'd need to draw a diagram detailing the propsed new layout, existing chambers plus lengths between and directions of flow etc.

"Grafting in" a new inspection chamber onto an existing line, has never been simpler. Plastic drain products make drainage a lot less difficult than it once was. Whilst no below ground work is ever simple or predictable, things are a bit easier with the ubiquitous availability of mini diggers, Stihl saws, plastic IC's, Fernco couplers etc.

Sponsored Links
Existing soil stack is cast iron, this would need to be removed and at very least replaced with plastic, you dont want it cracking and leaking at a later date if now inside the property! Basically, all the sections of sewer need to be accessible for clearance if the need arises, but inspection chambers provided where necessary satisfies that requirement.

If carrying out that amount of work, I fail to see why the soil stack cannot be terminated through the roof to atmosphere. AAV's are ok elsewhere, but I would still want to see at least one open vent on the drainage system for the property. Removing an existing vent can give rise to problems, when pressure is trapped in the system and is looking for an escape route.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back