Connect WC pan to Underground Soil Pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason its below ground and through the wall is because I don't want to trip over the pipe. In any case, he's got the entry angle wrong and needs to lower the up pipe to fit a 90 angle up to the WC pan connector.
The flow is away from the viewer as seen in the photo with drain cover and doorway and runs parallel to the wall, so is in the right direction, I'm just not sure its the correct T for the job.
More to follow... watch this space.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
OK, so I need a vent. Another point to raise with the 'builder', he never mentioned a vent would be required.

Would an air admittance valve solve the problem?
Behind the WC pan is a single brick cavity, would it be possible to attach an air admittance valve to the soil pipe as it rises from the ground and somehow connect to the WC pan? What pipe fittings would I need?

My builder said... 'As I have a vent stack to the upstairs toilet and an open drain access point about 2 metres from this new WC all on the same pipe work, I don't need another stack or AAV'. I am inclined to agree with him and have proceeded with job as planned. He also said... 'He has a similar arrangement to his downstairs WC and does not have a problem.'
I Just hope hes right and the water stays in the WC pan to act as a seal.

He should finish the job to day and I will post photo's.

It doesn't really matter weather your "inclined to agree" with your builder or not. Why don't you & your “cowboy” builder just read the BR's & at least make an effort to try & understand the advice your being given; a downloaded copy of the regs. don’t cost anything. :rolleyes:

I for one am giving up on this, it’s just a waste of time; & good luck with the building inspector, he will at least get a laugh; :LOL: Oh, but I guess your not doing that either are you! :rolleyes:

It doesn't really matter weather your "inclined to agree" with your builder or not. Why don't you & your “cowboy” builder just read the BR's & at least make an effort to try & understand the advice your being given; a downloaded copy of the regs. don’t cost anything. :rolleyes:

I for one am giving up on this, it’s just a waste of time; & good luck with the building inspector, he will at least get a laugh; :LOL: Oh, but I guess your not doing that either are you! :rolleyes:

Cowboy builder and flogging dead horse come to mind, all the advice that has been given is correct, it is irritating to give advice then have it thrown back. Richard C and others are quite right in what they have said.
If the builder doesnt do it to regs dont pay him/her.

Tony

I cant find the BR download that you refer to. Would you have a direct link? And how much do they charge to inspect the job?

Sorry to jump in again, get on the website of your local council and download it from the section "Building Control", or call them and ask them to direct you to it.

Tony

The cowboy has left without connecting the WC to the new soil pipe. I have paid him because I had seen him offer up the pan to the soil pipe and it seemed to fit, from the angle I was observing, but I am going to have problems. The pan connector is the wrong size + the new soil pipe is not vertical and sightly too high. I have tried to phone him but his phone no longer rings. I sent an email but I guess he wont reply to that either.
He left the job in a mess even though he attempted to clean up using my brushes. I had to use the hose to shift a lot of mud, sand and debris. The concreting was totally crap and I had to ask him 3 times to level it.
What have I done, once again I've let my wife and kid down by allowing an aarse into my home.
I know, your all laughing cos that's is the kind of folk you are, but there is nothing I cant fix myself. Why are some folk total aarse holes. I will just have to leave bad feed back on the website where he advertises and
maybe I'll have the last laugh.

without getting arsey here, do your self a favour.

DIG IT UP, DO IT RIGHT!

You'll feel even more of a prat when the whole house stinks cos the toilet wont hold a seal and the drain chokes with no access!

I really think you are all making to much of this access and ventilation thing. My next door neighbour has recently made an almost identical WC installation in his parents home without vents and access points and he says it works fine. I think overall it suits my needs and is reasonable value given my limited funds. You chaps may be correct about the BR, I've not been able to find any BR download that you refer to but I have enough intuition to know when something is going to work and in this case involving the BI will be an unnecessary expense and frankly waste of time. This aasre of a builder is definitely no professionally. He has replied to my email and says the pan connector is the right size, which is the usual cowboy bullshitt I have come to expect from builders in general. The truth is he couldn't fit it either.

I have attached a link to the b regs it is amazing what a simple google can do.
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/professionals/en/4000000000382.html

It took me 2 years to get my head around them when I was in college on my plumbing course so a builder may have limited knowledge of this field.

I am sorry you have been stung by this cowboy even after we have all being giving you free sound advice on this subject.

Just because something works ok does not mean it conforms to the b regs. Which unfortunately your installation does not.
If we all took this approach we would have effluent flowing in the streets like some third world country.

Building regs are not just an unecessary expense and waste of time as you describe they are the law of the land to safeguard us all and future generations.

If you are determined to leave it as is then I would suggest a flexible soil connector may get you out of trouble.

Good luck and next time call a plumber it really can cost less in the end run.

Pete ps I for one am not laughing just frustrated you did not take our advice

Amazine is a very good handle isn‘t it! :LOL: I’m not sure anyone can make so many mistakes so quickly, say they know nothing about statutory regulations or why they should abide by them, blatantly ignore advice from those trying to help & put them right, put together what otherwise seem to be reasonably intelligent & coherent posts & then be that stupid about how to find factual information on almost anything via Google. Give it up guys, it’s a lost cause; I smell a rat & seriously think it’s a wind up! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back