Connecting a double insulated recessed light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What type of cable to connect from the double insulated recessed light to the cable connectors?

Right, so I've removed our pendant and due to the new fixtures light distribution, I also need to add some recessed lights (fire proofed if that makes a difference). The recessed lights have a chocbox in a plastic casing (L/N) which I need to connect to the cable connectors (I used wago).

I would like to use my existing two core and earth cable (6242Y), but not really sure if this is the right cable for the job and if so what's the best way to remove the earth wire: do I yank it out, do I use some nut, do I just cut the exposed earth or do I buy a two core only cable?

Cheers,
A

Sponsored Links
If possible keep the earth wire (CPC) intake, if it can be terminated into a nearby enclosure that would be suitable.
Even WAGOs should be enclosed, so but an extra terminal there for the earth and then run a short length of two core flex to the downlights. You must also be aware that any joints/junctions within the ceiling should be either accessible or terminated using a maintenance free method.

If possible keep the earth wire (CPC) intake, if it can be terminated into a nearby enclosure that would be suitable.
Even WAGOs should be enclosed, so but an extra terminal there for the earth and then run a short length of two core flex to the downlights. You must also be aware that any joints/junctions within the ceiling should be either accessible or terminated using a maintenance free method.

Thanks again boyo. So it's two core flex what I need to get; I am running the earth wire between the connectors just in case I need to change them, but wasn't sure on the best way to get down to the fixture from there.

I did make the junction almost maintenance free (wage box and connectors) and accessible and am now mulling if there's any point in fixing this to the joist to make it fully maintenance free (wife would still be able to reach it).

If I understand you correctly, you have removed the (loop in) pendant and have replaced this junction with some Wago connectors mounted inside a Wago box. Yes?
I guess that this junction point will not be accessible once the project is finished? If so, your first issue is to convince yourself that the Wago junction is "maintenance free".

Also, if I understand you correctly, you want to know what sort of cable you need running from the "Wago Junction" - a train station in Texas maybe:D - to the sundry recessed light(s) that you plan.
This cable needs to have two conductors (live and neutral) and an earth. You could use twin and earth, or three core flex.
But
The earth must be connected at the junction and carrioed through to each and every light fitting, if you have more than one. The earth does not connect at any of the DI luminaries, but is needed to provide a cpc for the cable(s).

Sponsored Links
Thanks again boyo. So it's two core flex what I need to get; I am running the earth wire between the connectors just in case I need to change them, but wasn't sure on the best way to get down to the fixture from there.

I did make the junction almost maintenance free (wage box and connectors) and accessible and am now mulling if there's any point in fixing this to the joist to make it fully maintenance free (wife would still be able to reach it).
If you are keeping the integrity of the CPC continuity, that is a positive thing.
I would personally use a Hager J804 for the ceiling rose loop, but if the junction is accessible then Wagos in a Choc-box or wago box will do, then daisy chain in three core to a three pin click flow connector, then take a three core to the fitting, if possible and terminate the CPC separately.

By the way WAGO claim that their boxes are compliant to being MF, if a cable ties is wrapped around it?

Last edited:
If you are keeping the integrity of the CPC continuity, that is a positive thing.
I would personally use a Hager J804 for the ceiling rose loop, but if the junction is accessible then Wagos in a Choc-box or wago box will do, then daisy chain in three core to a three pin click flow connector, then take a three core to the fitting, if possible and terminate the CPC separately.

By the way WAGO claim that their boxes are compliant to being MF, if a cable ties is wrapped around it?

What's the best way to terminate the CPC?

Yes they do claim the box needs to have a strap around it to be maintenance free but I assumed it would also need to be fixed. Sounds like I'll just strap a cable tie around it and not fix it then :)

Unfortunately no; it bare has enough space for the two connectors used for L/N

What make of lights are they?
If it is impossible to get CPC into the downlight connector, then I would get the CPC as close a practically possible.

Yes they are a bit tight.
The regs require a CPC to be present at every accessory. I would still run a three core to the connector, the sheath of the cable must enter the enclosure. So you will have all three core within it. I would then fold back the CPC, so it is trapped in the cable grip, therefore safe.

Hm ... would never have thought about this but this would do great! One more time thanks, Boyo!:)

Well the CPC wouldn't bend back without breaking the flimsy case so I just removed 4in of sheathing from the 2core&earth cable and just used the two cores to connect the light to the daisy chain. This seems to do the job fine.

Yes they do claim the box needs to have a strap around it to be maintenance free but I assumed it would also need to be fixed. Sounds like I'll just strap a cable tie around it and not fix it then :)

If the enclosure has strain relief for the cables then it does not need to be fixed. The WAGO boxes do have strain relief.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back