connecting Recessed Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just brought 3 recessed lights to replace a single light in the bathroom.
The recessed lights are mains feed with terminal blocks and do not have a transformer. I was wondering whats the best way to interconnect the recessed lights together and also the type of wiring to use. Would it be a matter of using a junction box or could i 'daisy chain' them together ?.

Any help would very much be appreciated

Sponsored Links
which ever you find the easier, both junction box and daisy chain are acceptable.

that said, you may want to consider using a junction box where your ceiling rose is now instead.

ideally you should use 1.mm twin and earth

and don't forget to make a drawing first

Many thanks breezer

If i use a junction box would it be ... one junction box and then live and neutral to each terminal block from this one junction box ? Sorry if this is a silly question .... i'm new to this .

better that you ask first.

Yes you are right, but dont forget the earth.

you should wire your junction box as the ceiling rose is now, excepth where your existing light is connected, you take a cable to the first light, then on to the second etc

Sponsored Links
Thanks Breezer,

The light terminal blocks only have live and neutral connections ... just wondering what i should do with the earth wire ?

put them in a separate chock bloc adjacent each light (and also dont forget to use green / yellow sleaving

Just so you are aware, if you use the connector blocks supplied with the lights without placing them in an enclosure, then the work will not comply with the wiring reg's. To ensure compliance, the joints should be within an enclosure (422-01-04), and this enclosure should be to an appropriate BS (526-03-02). This means that you should get yourself some 5amp JB's to replace the connector blocks or a handy little box called a 'choc-box', which is BS approved and fits over the connecter block joints. If you get some choc-boxes, you can easily fit 3 sections of 5A connector in there so your earths will will be enclosed too.

spark said:
Just so you are aware, if you use the connector blocks supplied with the lights without placing them in an enclosure, then the work will not comply with the wiring reg's.
You telling me then sparks that the new ceiling fan/light I've just bought and fitted in the bedroom does not comply to B.S. as the chock block is open ? (think I'll sue 'em !!!)

Is the connector enclosed inside the fitting? If so, then there's not a problem, if not then they probably intended you to fit it inside the fitting :!:

It is inside the fitting so I'll let them off, I read your thread that even that should be covered

I can see where the confusion arose. Often recessed light fittings have nowhere to enclose the connections because the are too small, light fittings, ceiling roses, fans and the like are large enough to accommodate the connections inside the fitting.

Thanks Spark for the advice,
Just wondering where i can buy 'choc-box's from
I've just done a search on the internet and no mention of them

Any D.I.Y./Hardware sell them. They're the things that you cut into as many connections as you need (Imagine a squarish toblerone), two screws per wire going through (usually transluscent nylon). You need a minimum of 5amp to be safe but if poking 2 or 3 cables in each side a larger one might make life easier

breezer said:
put them in a separate chock bloc adjacent each light (and also dont forget to use green / yellow sleaving
Breezer - does this mean the lawk's lights will be earthed or not? if the lights have no earth connection, how does putting them in a separate chock bloc help/work? (sorry - but i'm new to this) cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back